Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Boys v girls

(1/4) > >>

pwhite48:
Those of you regulars to COL will know that I am in the process of getting our first puppy.  We have our names down on waiting lists with a number of breeders for a golden bitch (which I've discovered are remarkably hard to come by!).  We were pretty incistent at first that we wanted a bitch - mainly because we'd heard they had a nicer temperament.  However, on speaking to more and more owners, and sourcing stuff on the internet, it seems the same can be said about boys.  Please could anyone advise whether there is a difference in temperament between boys and girls, and whether you would recommend one or the other as a good family pet with children.  Or is there no difference?
Thanks for your help ;D ;D ;D!                    

Magic Star:
Hi

I too had this dilemma, I was getting a boy at first, as like you I had researched on the net, and found that as long as you keep them "innocent" boys will be just as good a temperament than girls, I even read somewhere that boys infact have better temperaments, as they don't suffer the hormone thing as much as girls ::)  Although I don't know how true this is.  Anyway the only reason we ended up getting a girl, is because after visiting a breeder I got a very bad allergic reaction on the way home ???  To say I was mortified was an understatement as I had set my heart on one of these lovely dogs :-  SO back on the net I went and came across a couple of research studies that revealed that bitches give off less dander than males!  Therefore they suggested that if there was an allergy issue bitches would probably give less of a reaction to the person with the allergy than a male would :)  Yes I know BIZARRE but its worked so far ;D (touches wood)

If I had the choice again and didn't have an allergy I would have no hesitation in getting a boy :)  Or girl for that matter, dohh I would get both ;) ;D

Hope this helps!

Emma and Indie                    

Jane S:
This subject has cropped up on the forum a few times before- here's a link to one thread :http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=1858 There are some more somewhere but I haven't found them yet ;)                    

LindaW:
Interested to read Emma's comments about bitches giving off less dander :o

I have bitches as I am a breeder but my parents always had cocker boys and they were every bit as loving and faithful as bitches.  The dogs will always be slightly bigger than the bitches so that might be a consideration.

I would go for what feels right!

;)                    

Magic Star:

--- Quote from: Linda W on November 05, 2003, 10:01:27 AM ---Interested to read Emma's comments about bitches giving off less dander :o

--- End quote ---

Hi Linda  :)

Yep I was shocked too, I had never heard of this before ::)  I will see if I can find it for you for you to have a read, and for anyone else :)  Its quite interesting :D  I had aldready had my name down for a boy with one of our members ;D  But I had to do a u-turn and opt for a girl, after reading the article :o  

As Linda says go with what you feel, you will know when you see a litter, there just seems to be a thing between you and the pup, thats best for you ;D

Keep us informed ;)

Emma and Indie                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version