Author Topic: a loving home for a youngish cocker available  (Read 1194 times)

Offline gillmand

• Site Member
a loving home for a youngish cocker available
« on: November 01, 2007, 03:15:23 PM »
I have a family home with 2 young kids aged 5 and 2 and want a cocker to complete the collection. I grew up with a springer and my partner with a cocker so we are very familiar with the breed. We want to rescue a cocker who is still young (upto about 4ish) but recognise the difficulties with rescue dogs and young kids. We live in East Sussex and have plenty of outdoor space and there is normally someone at home.

If anyone hears of a cocker available in the South who would fit into our household then I would love to hear from you.

D

Offline PennyB

Re: a loving home for a youngish cocker available
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:54:42 PM »
It can be difficult finding a young cocker the age you want and suitable fo ra young family as often as some can have problems --- often its down to not enough early training and they're out and out hooligans but still quite a handful if someone just wants an easy young dog (some owners just can't cope with the adolescent dog which is why they're being rehomed and if they handled the dog badly then that can add to a new owners problems even though the dog themselves isn't bad). Be aware you may be offered dogs privately that you are told are suitable but in reality aren't. If you can go with a responsible rescue (that assesses and homechecks and provides backup) who will rehome a dog suited to your family and not just because they're a cocker.

Some rescues won't rehome to children under 5, and some will rehome but only if they are satisfied it could work (I recently passed a homecheck for a pup for a family with a 3 year old --- parents proved they were pretty sensible plus I took one of my own cockers with me to see how they all interacted when he was let loose around the house ::))
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: a loving home for a youngish cocker available
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 05:55:52 AM »
Be aware you may be offered dogs privately that you are told are suitable but in reality aren't. If you can go with a responsible rescue (that assesses and homechecks and provides backup) who will rehome a dog suited to your family and not just because they're a cocker.

Agree strongly with What Penny has written especially the above

I know of someone who rehomed a dog privately and they have had him constantly at the vets for something or another, they wouldn't get rid of him but he has cost a lot of money and now they wish they had gone through a proper rescue centre as they are at the end of the phone for help and support and advice - and they would have made sure the dog was healthy enough to be rehomed and checked over by a vet   

Please contact a responsible rescue   :D

Sorry my post is quite negative but fore warned is fore armed  ;)