Author Topic: Zorro - watching the penny drop  (Read 2819 times)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Zorro - watching the penny drop
« on: November 27, 2007, 04:14:21 PM »
Zorro's now 15 months and has never been known for his brains, bless him  :luv:. He's always had kind of tunnel vision ("you have a TREAT, I want the TREAT, where's the TREAT, GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!") which has made him quite hard to train because he just focuses on the treat and cannot possibly think about anything else (such as how to get you to give it to him).

I've found it a real challenge as Bella was sooooo easy to train, she always picks things up in about 2 goes and once she's got it, it stays there, whereas with Zorro it's always been a bit painful trying to get anything to sink in. But lately he's started to calm down a tiny bit, and last week I was doing some training with him (using "yes" as a marker instead of a clicker). I decided to try getting him to give his paw, for the umpteenth time since we've had him (with very little success until that point no matter which of several methods I've tried).

So, I got him to sit, crouched in front of him with a treat in one hand, held out my hand, said "paw" and gently lifted his paw into mine, then gave him a treat. Then I said "Zorro, paw" and just held out my hand. And Zorro sat, and sat, and stared at my other hand with the treat in, and sat, and stared, and sat and stared, and then, just as I was about to pick up his paw again to try and help, I saw, could it be true? A little flicker of something going on in those beautiful brown eyes of his (in contrast, if this was Bella, she'd have tried Down, Rollover, Paw, and Other Paw by this time  ph34r). So I waited, said nothing, kept my hand extended out to him, and eventually he lifted up his paw and planted it in my hand. "YES!!!!!!!" and a treat, and a very self-satisfied look on Zorro's face.

I tried again, "Zorro, paw!", and held out my hand. Again he sat and stared at the hand with the treat in it, and sat, and stared, and sat, and stared, and thought about it for a looooooong time (he's like the traffic warden in Little Miss Joceleyn, "I am doing this for Queen and country, it may take a lo-o-o-ong time!"  :lol:), and then lifted his paw, got a "YES!!!" and a treat.

Third attempt, "Zorro, paw!", and I hold out my hand, and he sits and stares but then quickly and resolutely lifts up that pawand slaps it onto my hand. Bingo! So he gets a bonanza treat. And a few goes later, he's giving me his paw as if he's been doing it for months.

It's a tiny thing but for little mister noodle noddle it feels like such a breakthrough and it's so nice to see him actually thinking and figuring something out. So he's not just a pretty face after all. Hurray for Zorro!  :luv:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
Re: Zorro - watching the penny drop
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
way to go Zorro.  Bracken has always been a bit slower than Jasmine.  Bella sounds like Jasmine, I'll try this, this, this, this, rather than just the thing.

Hopefully Zorro will be catching up with his big Sis step by step..
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:36:06 PM »
The male of the species (any species)!!!!

Well done Zorro!

Ben (hooman) was a bit like that about walking: he sat and watched, and sat and watched, then one day at about 16 months he walked right across the room. None of this walk two steps and fall over for my boy. Sit like a blob then run a marathon, that's him. Still not in the least athletic though darnit.

So, Claire, what are you going to try next on Mr Brainbox?

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:01:07 PM »
Ben sounds very sensible to me, perfect the method in your head and then just do it, none of the boring practising!  :005:

Actually Zorro started agility a few weeks ago, have only been 3 times because I've been too knackered with all the bowls (his class starts at 8pm but I have Bella's class beforehand). But he's actually AMAZING at it, I've been really surprised as I didn't think he had it in him to focus enough. And it's strange as he doesn't really seem to be paying attention at all but he obviously is - even the teacher's impressed and it takes alot to impress her as she's so used to collie-wonderdogs, so for a little bouncy cocker to have her waxing lyrical is saying something! He's mega fast as well so I think it'll be roping him in which will be the problem once he really knows what he's doing.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »
Aaaaw, well done Zorro  :luv: :luv:  At last your mum has realised you have brains as well as beauty!  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 06:06:48 PM »
Horaaaaay for Zorro!  :D  He's a smart cookie really, just obviously keeps it well hidden.  :005:
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:16:20 PM »
Well done Zorro  :D   

Molo's training was very similar, in fact, I remember teaching him "paw" one afternoon in much the same way  ::) Until we learnt how to "clicker", trick training was impossible - now it is slow, but possible  :lol:

(if you ever teach Zorro how to roll over, can you let me know? It is totally beyond Molo to master  ::))
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »
Clever lad  :luv: ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »
Awww well done Zorro!  :luv: And well done Claire for being so patient and persisting.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 08:13:30 PM »

(if you ever teach Zorro how to roll over, can you let me know? It is totally beyond Molo to master  ::))

Buddy can't/won't do that either! I lure him with a treat and he licks at the treat all the way over. If he can't reach the treat he won't do it at all, and if we try with no treat then he's not even listening.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:16:55 PM »

Buddy can't/won't do that either! I lure him with a treat and he licks at the treat all the way over. If he can't reach the treat he won't do it at all, and if we try with no treat then he's not even listening.

C'mon you guys thats easy peasy!!!! :005:
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »

C'mon you guys thats easy peasy!!!! :005:
Mark

Next time you are down this way, you can forget long leisurely walks in the New Forest, your job will be to teach us how to get our dogs to roll over!!!!!

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 08:39:36 PM »
Coco is rubbish at that one too!  ::)
Julie and Watson

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »

At least he goes over - Molo jumps up as soon as the treat moves away from the floor  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »
Dont be too hard in thinking that he isnt the brightest, some of the most intelligent cockers are very hard to train, they have wee minds of their own and make up their minds when they will do whats asked.  ;)

Good on you Zorro you show your mummy you are just a clever boy  :luv: :luv: