Author Topic: .  (Read 2198 times)

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:31:49 PM »

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: help! started to fight
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »
No advice (sounds similar to what Jarvis and Rudy were doing :-\) but just wanted to wish you luck with them, i hope you can resolve the issues. :luv: I think perhaps you'll need a behaviourist assessment, problems between dogs can be quite complex. :huh:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »

Agree with Beth  ;) a behaviourist would be the best way forward as each dog and each family are different and what will work for one might not work for another  :huh:

You could in the meantime remove all objects that are causing the conflict..chews, toys and only have them when they are either seperate or play with them one at a time  ;)
I did have a bit of scrabble out the door leading to a squirmish or 2  with my 2  ::)  so decided to train them to wait until one is called to be let out then call the other....took a bit of time but no pushing and shoving to get out the door so less likely of any conflict  ;)
Hope peace reigns soon

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
I've been having almost exactly the same thing with Alfie (almost 3) and Rodaidh (almost 2) since August, Rodaidh is the instigator but Alfie won't back down. They are quite extreme though, they've both needed vet treatment for injuries they've given each other and they currently can't live together. I don't have much time just now but I'll come back and do a proper reply later.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:12:15 PM »
Poor you,  :-\

I had a slight problem with Dave guarding, so (as has been suggested to you) I took away all the items I knew he'd guard for a bit. When I reintroduced them (a few weeks later) I made sure I spent a lot of time rewarding him with a treat for letting me or Normy walk past or stand near him etc.. I still have to keep an eye on him and will only give him certain things when he's fully supervised (and never with kids around) but removing the triggers for a while certainly helped a lot.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:13:40 PM »

Forgot to add...i have a jean donaldson book called "fight" you can borrow ...it wont be a solver to your problems but might help in just breaking up the fights without getting hurt yourself...pm me your address if its any good to you and will post out  ;)

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »
My concern is that when I go to work (3 hours a day) if they have nothing to chew or occupy them the younger, Dex destroys my walls and skirting

I would keep them separate and give them chewies to keep them busy when you're out but then take them away when you get back. ;)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »
I think a behaviourist would be the best route to go down, they will be able to observe and let you know if it's a minor or major problem.  As Dex is just reaching adolescence, it sounds to me like a battle of testosterone, and status, and Barney is asserting his authority.  It would probably settle as Dex matures and status is sorted out between them, but occasionally it can escalate, and it would be sensible to get professional advice on how to manage the situations.

In the meantime.  I would take all toys away, treats given to them separated.  Is it all gob and gestures or do you think Barney is really attacking Dax to cause an injury?
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »
My concern is that when I go to work (3 hours a day) if they have nothing to chew or occupy them the younger, Dex destroys my walls and skirting

I would keep them separate and give them chewies to keep them busy when you're out but then take them away when you get back. ;)

Agree, I only let Dave and Norms stay together unsupervised once Dave had matured enough not to aggravate the pants off her and I could also then give him things to keep him occupied.. I did this until he was about 12-13months I think..

x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 02:17:25 PM »

Both of mine are kept seperate when i am at work...2/3 hours a day....always have been...they can see each other through the stairgate but i dont trust lola enough not to annoy Biba as she is a wind up merchant....they each have a loo roll holder filled with treats to keep them busy again another reason i keep them seperate as Lola is a guarder  ::)

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
Re: help! started to fight - updated with nice pic
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 05:57:50 PM »
Can't really offer anjavascript:void(0);y advice but hope everything settles down between them. That's a gorgeous photo :luv:
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »
Oh what a gorgeous pic  :luv: Surely you're telling us fibs about them fighting  :005: Seriously though, really hope you get it sorted; I can't offer any advice but if they can be so good together, there's surely got to be a way to deal with the problem.  Hope so!

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »

Who can ever figure out dogs  ::) glad some peace has been restored