Author Topic: "Accidents" at dog-sitter's  (Read 1117 times)

Offline grab

"Accidents" at dog-sitter's
« on: December 03, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »
We've got a bit of a problem with Judi.  At home, she's perfectly well house-trained (except when she's ill, but not much you can do about that).  But at the dog-sitter's, apparently she occasionally poos and wees inside, even during the evening when people are around.

We're wondering if she's got into a habit here at the dog-sitter's, and whether there's a good way of breaking it (apart from stopping using this dog-sitter, which isn't really a good option because we do like her).  I guess we could ask the dog-sitter to put her in the crate whenever the dog-sitter isn't in the room with her, but it's very annoying when she really should know better.

There is also a related problem with Judi where when I put her out at night, she'll often sit on the step and refuse to go out (especially if it's cold/dark/wet), in spite of being told "toilet".  If I go out into the garden with her, then she'll go too, but she doesn't seem to want to go on her own.  It's possible that by going out with her, I'm letting her assume that people will keep her company, and that might be part of the problem with the dog-sitter (who doesn't have the time to accompany every dog outside when she's got a house-full already).  But (a) we could be waiting some time, and (b) she's likely to start woofing to be let back in.

Any ideas, anyone?
Judi and Alice.  Add them together and divide by two, and they're a pair of normal spaniels.  Individually they're one fragile and over-intelligent little brat who knows exactly how cute she is, and one big hyperactive fuzzball who's too dopey to do anything except what she's told...

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: "Accidents" at dog-sitter's
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:26:08 PM »
A couple of issues possibly at work here: one is that many dogs do not make the connection that housetraining applies to all houses, not just their own.  ::) the other is that if the sitter has multiple dogs in her care, that Judi is not the only one that has gone in the house and she is smelling that fact. It may also be that she knows how to ask you to go out in her own home, but does not know how to ask the sitter to go out  :-\

Afraid this one is on the dog sitter, and if she is worth her salt as a dog person she will know this. She will have to treat Judi like a puppy and housetrain her to her house

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
I thought I was the only one who had dogs who "won't go" for anyone else.  I always accompany my dogs out when I think they need to go toilet and they always go.  When I ask my daughter to take them out, they just run back to the back door without doing anything  >:( I then take them out myself and they will 'do' something straightaway  >:(  My daughter is rather inpatient and says if they need to go, they will go but they don't and wait for me!  I tend to go to bed quite early and my daughter lets them out for their last toilet break but I often worry that they have been 'holding' themselves all night >:D  and this can't be good for their bladders.  Have I made the dogs too dependent on me?  I don't want to have to stay up really late as I have to get up very early and the dogs do have the opportunity to wee last thing at night. My daughter does take them for walks and they do 'go' for her there, it is just at home we have this problem.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 10:43:20 AM »
If I have a new foster or boarder I always make sure they get let out regularly and dont expect them to be perfectly house trained when in a new place, especialy insecure or adolescent dogs. Its completely normal for them to not know where to go or how to ask to get out.

As for the wet/cold thing thats also very common! I have to go out with one of mine to make sure she goes otherwise she refuses (and then pee's indoors). I dont think it has anything to do with company, she just doesnt want to get cold or wet feet sometimes!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.