Author Topic: chasing cats or birds  (Read 777 times)

Offline rubyrules

• 0ur beautiful bundle of fun, R.I.P 30/5/2019
chasing cats or birds
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:27:55 PM »
On a few occasions now Ruby will chase cats, if I let her out in our garden and she spies a cat (I have started doing a quick check before I open the door but sometimes don't see them) she will run off chasing it.  Unfortunately, how our garden is set out we are unable to fully enclose it to the side or front, this means she can run directly on and up the close where there are other cars etc. If there are no distractions she will simply stay in the garden, sniffing around whilst I watch her.  She has now extended her chasing to birds, we were out at the weekend, and she decided she would chase a flock of gulls, luckily she stayed in the field where we were!  It does not matter how much I shout, or what tone "the voice of doom" she simply "throws me a deaf one" and only comes back when she's ready.  Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Ruby our 1st cocker baby 10/5/2008 - 30/5/2019. You gave us so much, we are so lucky to have shared our lives with you. Run free sweet girl,  until we hold you again  xx

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
Re: chasing cats or birds
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 01:10:50 PM »
Roxy also chases birds, I normally just let her! Sorry I can't be of any help!

Offline brownsugar

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Sorry to have no other advice than the obvious (long line in garden or fencing part of it off).
Chasing cats in the garden can certainly be prey drive. It can also be defending her terrritory to the naughty cats as does our Toby.
Both types of behaviour are very self rewarding and difficult to counter. Hope someone comes along to advice you better (and might learn something here myself  :005:).

O, as to the cats: I deliberately make a lot of noice with the doorhandle before I open the back door and I think most cats get the message (as I sometimes see them speeding away out of the corner of my eye :lol2:).
Good luck!

Offline rubyrules

• 0ur beautiful bundle of fun, R.I.P 30/5/2019
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies, it's good to know I am not the only one with a dog I can't control.  Generally, she is very well behaved, on walks will wait so I can put her lead back on, comes when I call her etc.  But, when it comes down to what I would imagine to be her "instinctive chasing" I have no control whatsoever  >:(
Ruby our 1st cocker baby 10/5/2008 - 30/5/2019. You gave us so much, we are so lucky to have shared our lives with you. Run free sweet girl,  until we hold you again  xx