Author Topic: "Warming down" after training?  (Read 712 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
"Warming down" after training?
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:19:28 PM »
When I'm training Chloe outside, we always finish up with a play then a lead walk, and she calms down quite quickly.  In the house, its a completely different matter  :shades: Even after a relatively long session (say 15 minutes) when I can tell she's had enough, she is still hyper. I always finish on a positive thing that she knows and does well, and reward her with lots of fuss, but she looks at me as much as to say....well, what we gonna do now? Today I discovered that grooming her really helps to settle her, so I've answered my own question really, but just wondered what you all do?

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
Re: "Warming down" after training?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 04:35:07 PM »
Same as you do, after a play indoors in the evening I get her brushes from the top of her crate and she jumps onto the settee for a groom. what really relaxes her is a soft brush on her tummy where she lies on her back and just sighs.
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
Grooming Duggie excites him even more! :005: I'm not actually sure what I do to calm him down, I think I just either make the play less vigorous, or ignore him. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
Grooming Duggie excites him even more! :005: I'm not actually sure what I do to calm him down, I think I just either make the play less vigorous, or ignore him. :D

Chloe was exactly the same as a pup...she thought grooming was a big game, and even now, she sometimes decides the brush is a toy  :005:

We're still working on putting her toys away (yes, I know its taken us months, and all the good trainers on here would have taught it in days  :shades:) Today, after a couple of practice runs, treating her after each toy, then after 2 toys, then three, etc ... I got her putting 6 of them away, one after the other, with a big reward at the end. I think we both get a bit too excited tbh....I'm frantically telling her what a good girl she is, and she's frantically trying to do everything right  :005: After a couple of perfect runs, she started to flag...I think her concentration was going off a bit, so I knew it was time to stop. But as I say, she was still really hyper and went into the kitchen and belted her pyriamid around the floor for 5 minutes before coming back in and settling down...which is when I got the brushes out.

Little lamb is fast asleep now  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline mcphee

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
When Rufus was Chloe's age I stopped training in the house, other than gentle wait/take games as anything more led to manic mad cocker moments, practising leaping the sofa in one bound etc. Any game involving throw or fetch/toys gets him worked up, and I prefer to have him calm and laid back in the house. Charlie prefers it too! Rufus loves to be groomed at any time, and has done since he was a pup. The best thing at foundation class was when we all passed our dogs round in a circle and got all the pups used to being felt and touched all over, ready for grooming or vet examination. Whenever he has a mad moment now, I totally ignore him. It works really quickly. And I have decided that it is one step too far to expect Rufus to put his toys away!