Author Topic: "Leave"  (Read 1295 times)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
"Leave"
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
Thanks for your replies re: Harvey's lump. We think it is indeed where the injection/microchip were - so another worry off the list!

This post is all about "leave"s!

Harvey and I do some training every day, a couple times a day, he's got sit, down, roll over, stay, paw, high 5, but we just cannot get "leave".

It's becoming ever so embarrassing. Every person who comes in gets greeted by mad cocker spaniel latching on to the cuff of their sleeve being dragged in, and he will not let go for love nor money (hotdogs!). Clamps on with determined cocker look as if all our lives depended on it. I have to prise his mouth open to get him to release - and by this time there's normally a hole in whatever top anyone's wearing. (one friend had come around just before a first date - left with hole in blouse  ph34r

Any tips on training the "leave" command? I have tried tempting with treats whilst being dragged by cocker, but it just doesn't work. I'm obviously not getting it!
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline Sarah1985

Re: "Leave"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:47:44 AM »
I use the leave command to stop mine eating food off the floor. I dont think ive used it for sleves.

I would suggest teaching a "hello" command, where he learns to sit and maybe give paw when he greats people. I taught mine not to jump up using that. It works wonders as hes sitting and not got all his feet on the floor hes in a difficult position to launch himself at them.  :005: Although Im pretty sure I look crazy shouting "say hello" as he charges at people he recognises.  :005:

I taught him the various components of the trick and then linked it together with a "say hello" command. I just say "say hello" then lure sit and paw without saying anything. Then click and reward with treats and fuss. He'll then learn that the commant say hello means to sit and give paw. Once he can do it for you get him to practice with other people. The park great for this. If kids want to fuss him get him to do the trick and they'll love it if he gives a paw for them :005: Once hes cracked the command up-the-anti by getting visitors to do it near your front door and then when they enter your house and get him to do it (i wouldnt have them ring the door bell to begin with as if hes anything like mine this is when the crazyness starts). Then work up to being able to ring the door bell and him "say hello" nicely to whoevers on the other side. Remember not to let people fuss him if he doesnt do it correctly as he'll get mixed messages.

Alternatively I also taught mine to great me with a toy in his mouth as I just couldnt get him to stop nipping me when he got in from work and that might work better for you. He did it naturally so i just ignored him till he had a toy in his mouth and when he did I made a huge fuss of him.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Alternatively I also taught mine to great me with a toy in his mouth as I just couldnt get him to stop nipping me when he got in from work and that might work better for you. He did it naturally so i just ignored him till he had a toy in his mouth and when he did I made a huge fuss of him.

I'd go with this option - 'toy in mouth' is the official greeting custom for a Cocker.  :lol2:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »

I'd go with this option - 'toy in mouth' is the official greeting custom for a Cocker.  :lol2:

Or knickers fetched from the dirty laundry  ph34r >:( :lol2:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:35:45 AM »
Great ideas and I shall get to work on them. Thank you!!  :D

We did have a minor break through yesterday - literally each and every time he grabbed me, we did the "leave" treat - and the seed got planted! We will continue!
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline BabyB

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »

Or knickers fetched from the dirty laundry  ph34r >:( :lol2:

:005: :005: :005: :005:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind