Author Topic: Sudden aggression to certain triggers -advice please.  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Katwillow

Sudden aggression to certain triggers -advice please.
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »
Hi,
We have a lovely 2 year old male. We have had him from 8 weeks and he was castrated at approx 8 months.  We also have a rescue cat and the two have got on well, playing very vigourously from the start.  Although this play has been rougher than I would ideally want (dog appearing to maul cat) it has been impossible to stop since if separated cat would not move away and would lie in wait for the dog - he obviously seemed to enjoy the attention.

Anyway, a few weeks ago Jasper started to lunge towards cat if he was put on the lead to go for a walk, then this turned into him looking for the cat if I moved to put the lead on. (I thought this was probably him wanting to dominate the cat since I was going to dominate him by putting lead on). He also started to suddenly lose his temper with cat eg: if he was snoozing and cat started to meow. We have now returned from holiday and though sometimes they are placid together, the cat generally is not as happy to be pushed around and dog has on a few occasions really flown at him as if he seriously meant it and injury would follow.  If we hold Jasper he gets much more phsyched up.  The only thing to have an effect seems to be a water spray or some water from a mug.

He has never been fierce with people however I do have to make sure he is not around other dogs or cats when treats or food are given or there is food aggression (not to people - has always had strict routine as to when he can start to eat after food put down etc).  He is more cautious than your average merry cocker - cautious I don't mind but I don't want him to turn scary.  He is much more vocal than other dogs we have had (labs).  He doesn't bark unless people come to door (slip him on lead before I open and still woofs but wags at same time) but he whines, sighs and growls a fair amount but this seems to fit with what's happening at time -  growls can be in play or sometimes when he's a bit bored and nothings happening - a bit grumpy but no aggression there.

I seem to remember reading that "Rage" does not have a trigger. Is this correct? What should I do to ideally remedy this but definately need to stop things getting worse?  He is such a softy most of the time it is a pity to have this happening.

Offline Katwillow

Re: Sudden aggression to certain triggers -advice please.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
Thought I had better add that before the holiday, cat and dog were often to be found sleeping next to each other on floor and cat would routinely choose to spend the day in the dogs crate (door open) and the dog just snoozed elsewhere so you can see what mean about them being relaxed alot of the time! Cat has lost weight since being in the cattery (used to go next door to top-up before we went away).

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
Am no expert but maybe its a change in scent with the cat since he came back from the cattery?  Also - I really wouldn't suggest using a water spray etc to try to kerb this - it could have the opposite effect in that he starts to associate "bad things" happening to him when the cat is around thus building resentment. 
I would try using some positive reinforcement training with Jasper when the cat is around, praising/treating him when he ignores the cat.  Also I wouldn't in any way associate what Jasper is doing with any kind of rage.... something has just upset his apple cart a little, might be something as simple as a change in their routine.
Am sure someone will be along soon with some more detailed advise.
Lisa
x
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:32:09 AM »

Agree 100% with what MaggieR has said.
I would also get both your animals checked at the vet - the change in behaviour could be down to a physical cause in either.  (An illness/infection in your cat could make her smell differently to your dog... and an illness/infection in your dog will make him less tolerant!).

Your dog is NOT trying to dominate anything - and your dog doesn't feel "dominated" when he has his lead on.  What he feels is restricted... dogs who are threatened have 2 main options - fight or flight.  When we take one of those options away by putting a lead on (flight) they are only left with fight...  Likewise if you hold him, which is why that is having the effect of making the problem worse... (being physically held is more restrictive than being on a lead, and I really wouldn't recommend getting into phyiscal confrontations with your dog, as it could lead him to view YOU as the threat in the long run...  :-\ )

I definately wouldn't use a water spray, as aversive training can seriously backfire - your dog will learn to associate the cat with negative things and so try to scare it away before you get cross.
Our dog isn't great with cats - she's never really had the opportunity to be around them.  A couple of weeks ago she spotted a cat at the beginning of our walk (Honey was still on lead at the time) - the cat was not concerned by her barking and lunging at all, so I took the opportunity to do some training... I got the clicker out and asked for a sit... which she managed and I clicked and treated.  I then clicked and treated every time she looked at the cat (but before she started to lunge and bark), and after about 20 repetitions, she was looking to the cat and then back at me expecting her click and treat.... a great improvement in behaviour!  ;)  I'm sure we will need to repeat this again for future cats, but if you do that for a day (use his kibble from his meal allowance for a treat, or he'll be as big as a house!) he will soon forget about trying to maul the cat.   

As far as food aggression goes, it really is quite understandable - he is protecting his resource from the threat of other dogs.  Again, Honey is prone to this, but we have worked quite hard at managing it, and she is a lot better than she used to be.  If you want some advice on this, just ask - there are lots of people who have gone through this to some degree, so there will be lots of good advice on the subject.

Forget ideas of Rage and Dominance - rage is very very rare, and is characterised by extreme aggression with no trigger at all... dominance/pack theory is pretty much discreditted by reputable behaviourists - this is a good article on the subject - http://k9domain.org/alpha_theory.aspx

Cockers are vocal little dogs - they often have a full range of sounds for different occassions.  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:56:11 AM »
Cockers are vocal little dogs - they often have a full range of sounds for different occassions

Oh dont we know it!!!! they are so cute :005:

Offline Katwillow

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »
Many thanks to responses which are reassuring in terms of "rage" comments, I did read up quite a lot before we got Jasper  and didn't think it likely.  Everything you have said makes sense in connection with scents and positive re-enforcement etc but the problem is that the cat and dog can literally be milling around together 1 minute (cat rubbing against dogs chin etc) then the cat walks in later (may not have left house, maybe in 1 minute or 1 hour) and dog decides he has to be sorted out.   I think this may link up with if dog is already having a fuss or is tired. I don't want to use food treats when cat is around.  It also seems strange for dog to actively looks for cat when I am going to put him or have already put him on a lead.
This only happens approx once a day just not pleasant when it does and we don't want it to progress further.

I will not use water spray, try to step back from the situation to see what happens and hope the cat fattens up and gets his own scent back soon!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:47:19 AM »
You've had some great posts, the only other thing I can think of is that it might be possible your cat is ill? My last dog became quite ill when he was about 6 years old and at that point, other dogs became quite aggressive towards him. It might be worth getting your cat checked out by a vet to rule that out particularly if he's lost a bit of weight..

Hope things start to settle soon, it must be really stressful for all of you :-\

Good luck!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Katwillow

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
Yes I may take him to the vets, he actually seems glowing with health since he needed to lose weight - I couldn't drop his food because he would be more likely to go next door and eat theirs - but that's for another forum!   ::)

Offline Midas

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
Hello,

Just wondered whether your dog was in kennels too? or did he go on holiday with you? either way he might be acting out of character from the change in environment and might be quite exhausted too, and is lashing out at the cat.  Maybe he needs lots of rest where the cat cannot get to him at the moment?

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 01:22:04 PM »
This sounds quite similar to how Zorro can get with Bella (dog) when his back is out. It might be worth getting a McTimoney chiropractor to look at your dog's back - a little thing like his Atlas being out can impact heavily on behaviour incl not being able to recognise silhouettes so well, which might be what is happening. Just a thought - it's done wonders for Zorro :-)
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Katwillow

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »
Thanks for comments.  Dog was with us on holiday and may well have been tired directly after - lots of children on various wheels on caravan site and big walks).  We are getting back into a more normal state of affairs now: both cat and dog are more muted with each other, no horridness to cat as long as he isn't around when lead comes out!  However I will remember everyones useful comments for next time!

I was interested to hear the point about Zorro's back and silhouette recognition, it's a pity there is no Pilates for Dogs!    :blink:

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »

I was interested to hear the point about Zorro's back and silhouette recognition, it's a pity there is no Pilates for Dogs!    :blink:

Funnily enough I often describe TTouch as being a bit like Pilates/Alexander Technique in that it teaches the animal about balance, coordination and posture  :shades: :D
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 12:19:46 PM »
My springer does this with our cocker(as the cat would eat her alive.  He's mean!).  I thought it was just an excitement thing as the springer will only do this if 1. we have just came in home 2. we are going out for a walk.  With no 2, she will lunge and chew on Ruby in the house, through the garden and into the car(if I were to let her) and Ruby will jump at her too so it looks (to others) like they are fighting.  They don't ever do this at any other time other than when they are excited about something.  Could it be that your dog was just really happy to see his buddy after being separated?  When we came back from the caravan, Saffy humped our cat for a good 5 mins she missed him that much :005:.
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?