Author Topic: 13 month old cocker keeps chewing his bed  (Read 2859 times)

Offline raauty4

13 month old cocker keeps chewing his bed
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
Hi need some help ,

every time I buy a new bed , my 13 month old cocker (Ralph )  chews it unitil its destroyed ,  I feel guilty as he sleeps on a tiled floor in the kitchen !!!!!!!!!!

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: 13 month old cocker keeps chewing his bed
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
They often do that I'm afraid  >:( What sort of beds are you buying for him? are they soft, squishy ones,  moulded plastic , or something else?
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
Hi & welcome to COL

My two kept doing this, I tried all kinds of beds, even the hard ones and Olli persisted in chewing them  >:( (the edges looked like a pie crust)  :005:
Until I saw a leather type one in PAH, thought it was worth a try as neither have even attempted to chew the settee. 
They both noth have the leather beds and neither have chewed them  :lol:

I think I have them fooled as they think they are the sette  :005: :005: Its worked anyway so im happy.

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline raauty4

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »

thanks for the welcome !!!!!!!!

ive used soft beds , I like the idea of a leather bed , as ralph does lay on our cream leather settee with no chewing , will let you know how I get on

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »
Hello and welcome!  I have the same problem, Odie will be 1 year old on 28 Dec and he has wrecked all 3 soft beds I've bought him in the past 10 months >:D  He currently has a plastic one with various blankets and vet bedding inside. 

I also have a leather settee and he hasn't chewed that so a leather bed may just do the trick here too  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
Coco has a Durabed and has never tried to chew it - it is pretty tough and hardwearing.  She has had it for about 4 years now and it is still as good as new.  :D

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--Petmate-Durabed-Bed--petmate-durabed---dogs

While she was in her chewing stage though, I gave up with dog beds and just made her a bed up in a cardboard box with some blankets or towels inside  ;)  Might be worth doing until Ralph is a bit older  ;)

Welcome to COL by the way  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:00:02 PM »
Sorry forgot to say

We need pics of Ralph, they are a necessity of COL   :005: :005: :005:  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline kerrie

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:05:43 PM »
My two girls chewed every soft bed that i bought them until i bought them one of these each
http://www.prettypawsaccessories.co.uk/wallace-and-jones-oxford-i-dog-bed-79-p.asp
they have never chewed since.

Offline raauty4

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »
wow thanks for response,

will look at these beds,  Santa may deliver  if Ralph is good , will organise picture soon , laptop on last legs memory full !!!!

Offline joanna84

• Daisy
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
Daisy has done the same to 4 beds this year!  I won the last argument with other half to get the memory foam bed (looked so cosy and comfy!) instead of this one http://www.petsathome.com/shop/square-dog-bed-by-ruff-and-tuff-38621 but needless to say i'll be returning for this one soon....  OH enjoyed saying 'I told you so' when the chewing started!  :doh:  :005:

Offline pip1965

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
We also have this problem with Otto,he has a plastic bed but have just today bought him a danish designs padded mattress to go in it.I have sprayed it with chew stopper ,although possibly not enough as I don't want him not to sleep on it , and the plan is to take it out of his basket during the day so he just has it at night .Will report back!

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 09:51:52 AM »
Freddie had a doughnut bed which he humped then ate so it had to go. Now he has a memory foam bed with an extra blanket in his crate, which is in the kitchen and is where he sleeps at night. One corner has been a little bit nibbled but otherwise he leaves it alone.
Paula & Freddie x

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »
Hello and welcome,
I have another plastic bed going spare (same as GT's) if you want one  :D We're in Rutland. It is large though (used to sleep a rough collie  :'(), but can be filled with blankets/vet bed/horse saddle cloths etc for a cheap option.

Liz