Author Topic: ' Why '  (Read 796 times)

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
' Why '
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »
Can anyone enlighten me please:

I have been in the States to visit my daughter, and since returning Selby has not left my side ;) am really please about that though as I thought he may have transfered his affections :005: and forgotton me.

What I have noticed is, if I am sat on the sofa with Selby next to me and I am stroking him, which by the way is all the time he sits next to me,  If OH passes me anything Selby warns him off!!!!  while the thought is nice that he is looking after me I know we have to stop this behaviour, can anyone tell me why he has started doing this and how do I stop it?

Thanks all in advance, i know someone will have the answer.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: ' Why '
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »
He is guarding you and is something you want to nip in the bud  ;). Millie used to do this with me and my OH but quite vehemently  ph34r and which my OH started by being stupid  >:(. I had a no approach when we cuddle rule (which still applies now for everyone but my OH and my Mum) for a while as she was a rescue and fairly new to us. I got my OH to bond a bit more with Millie by doing more things with her and then rewarding her whenever he came near, the worst thing you can do is tell them off as it just reinforces that they need to warn the other person away. We found the real key was letting her up on the bed in the morning to cuddle between us and both making a real fuss and playing with her  :luv:.

Millie

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: ' Why '
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
Aww.... welcome home Lynn  :luv:

I'm sure it's nothing too serious & maybe Selby's just getting used to you being back & all the changes to his routine that have happened recently, have left him a little unsettled at the moment ;)
If it were me, I wouldn't draw any attention to these incidents when it happens but just get up & walk away & then make a fuss of him when he's settled again. Maybe it would be good for your OH to do a bit more with him, like Sarah says - hand feeding can be good ;)
I would also, reduce the stroking a little, if he's needing it all the time  ;)  I'm sure he'll settle back down to normal again soon - bet he's just pleased to have his mum back again ........either that, or you forgot to bring him back a good enough pressie  :005:

(Hope you had a super time hun  ;) :luv: )

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!