Author Topic: "Screaming" at other dogs  (Read 1031 times)

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
"Screaming" at other dogs
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »
Ruby has always been good with other dogs.....until recently. A few weeks ago when we were on holiday in Scotland, she met lots of dogs with no problem. That was until she met 2 Shih Tzu's. She went completely beserk and screamed so loud you would think she was being murdered!! For a few days after that she met lots of other dogs, again no problem. Then she met a Yorkshire Terrier. Same reaction, screaming!!! She has not been agressive at all, more excited I would say. No more problems until today when she met a Bearded Collie and started screaming again! Any ideas why she is doing this?
Lynn

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
Re: "Screaming" at other dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
Oh, forgot to say that on the way home we met another cocker, a springer and a lab. She was very friendly with all of them and didn't scream at all.
Lynn

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »
Has Ruby had her first season yet? I've only ever had male dogs so no experience with seasons, but I understand that behaviour can change a lot just before a season, so maybe that's the reason? I'm sure that someone else with more knowledge than me will comment soon :D

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:36:59 PM »
Thanks Elaine, yes she has already had her first season which she finished in August, so that can't be the reason!
Lynn

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:41:34 PM »
How odd - all those dogs have similar looking faces too kind of pointy with silky hair over the eyes) Maybe she had a nightmare about a similar looking dog? JOKING. Well, but you never know  ph34r

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
 :rofl1: :rofl1: Thanks Jeff & Annie
Lynn

Offline black taz

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:29:22 PM »
Taz makes a very high pitched bark when he is chasing something - perhaps she thought they were prey? :005:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »
Taz makes a very high pitched bark when he is chasing something - perhaps she thought they were prey? :005:

Millie will scream when she sees a small white dog as there is a slim chance it may turn out to be a cat  :doh:

Do you think it was an excited 'let me get over there' scream? Was she on the lead or running free so she could meet them?

Millie

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Ithink you could be right Sarah. Each time it has happened, she has been on lead at the start of her walk. She is not aggressive or fearful in any way just really loud!! She has never done it on the way back from a walk. Why she reacts this way to some breeds and not others is a complete mystery.
Lynn

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
Millie will also do it when we arrive at a park and she sees a dog running in the field, she stops once she can run around. She just has so much excitement it has to escape somehow, she starts off like a whistling kettle  :005: :005:. Perhaps Ruby has had a really exciting game of chase or something with a similar looking dog? Clicker training may be helpful to work on getting her attention back on you but you have to be quick and get in there before she really gets going. If you google the 'look at that' clicker game it should be useful.

Millie