Off Topic > Computer Help

Thinking Of Buying A New Computer

(1/2) > >>

mum of kimmi:
If we do buy a new one, is there an easy way to transfer all the info on old machine onto new one - or do I have to load everything onto disk and then load it back on again?

Pammy:
Depends where you get it from. Some places will do a data transfer for you - at a cost.

I'm about to get a new hard drive fitted and will get a full data transfer so I don't have to load everything back on :lol: . Only prob with that is any nasties you may have lurking get carried over too :o .

mum of kimmi:
thanks Pammy, will ask how much when I decide which one to get.

speedyjaney:
Ive not long had a new pc. My old one was 5 yrs old :ph34r: did the job but took its time about it  ;)
I burnt to disk the things we used most - Our favourites, all the photographs, any documents I wanted to save. I collected up all the program disks so I could reload them back on and made a note of the ones I needed to dowload.  :)
When I got the new one I just started to put it back on. (it did come with XP pro and Office but that was about it). I just did it disk by disk, program by program.
Doing it this way meant I didn't take across anything I didnt use so left lots behind so my new one wasn't cluttered upo with 5 yr old rubbish ;)
It only took me a couple of hrs to get my new pc up and running.
A tip for emails you want to save is to set up a web based adress (say hotmail) and forward any you want to keep to it. When your new pc is up and running just send them back to your self! I couldnt find an easy way to save them direct from outlook express so this worked well.
Finally virus scan any file you want to move before you take it from your old pc and as soon as you put it onto your new pc. You really don't want to take one across with you :D
The very first program I put onto my new pc was my anti virus software etc.
Hope this helps

Janey

tobycat:

--- Quote ---is there an easy way to transfer all the info on old machine onto new one
--- End quote ---

When I got this one I found an easy way of transferring all the data ;)

I got my OH to do it for me :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Nothing like asking a man to slave over a hot computer! :lol:  :ph34r:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version