Off Topic > Computer Help

Buying A New Pc

(1/2) > >>

PennyB:
I'm well overdue a new PC (present one is a Dell running windows ME).

Have been looking at a couple but don't know which is best one with Intel or AMD athlon

Sharon:
My last PC had AMD athlon and I had nothing but trouble with it...........even sent the machine back for a replacement and that was the same.  Got a Sony Vaio now with P4 and it's great, no problems what so ever!  So in future I'll stick to the P4 processor.

I know how difficult it is choosing a PC there are just so many deals at the moment, just try not to go for one with 'free' printer/scanner/camera.......you usually get a not so good computer with those, because you're actually paying for the freebies!

Good luck

Curtisio:

--- Quote ---I know how difficult it is choosing a PC there are just so many deals at the moment, just try not to go for one with 'free' printer/scanner/camera.......you usually get a not so good computer with those, because you're actually paying for the freebies!
--- End quote ---
Couldn't agree more

I always advise friends and family to set themselves a definate budget, and just buy the best you can for the money.

I would usually go onto a recognised web site rather than shops. In shops you can't customise your new PC. So you tend to get a good Processor, HDD but a poor graphics card.

On the DELL website you can pick and choose your components and it gives you a running total so you know where you are.

I'm not saying DELL are or are not the best, its just a good way of giving you a starting point.

As for processors, they are all so fast now for home PC's that they are much of a muchness.

As for the Operating System, go for an i.e. Windows XP Proffessional rather than XP Home. And give M.E. as wide a birth as you possibly can.

PennyB:
ME came with my present PC as thats what was only available at the time so will be going for XP anyway.

Have now also heard good things about the AMD, I think with all things it depends on the PC. I moved to P4 as soon as it came out and wasn't impressed and yet it was meant to be quite whizzy.

I've never gone for 'extra' free stuff anyway as I go for whats fast and basic and good customer service.

Dell just don't seem to have good reviews anymore and I've been with them now for the past 10 years and have seen how its not as good as it used to be (especially their tech help). Most now will let you customise thankfully but its what looks the best deal. However saying all that I'm torn between the devil I know (Dell) and Carrera.

I love my laptop though (which is an ancient 2nd hand IBM 600 thinkpad and very basic) but its not practical for the work I do all the time.

ReadingSteve:
In my view most of the recent advances in processor speed are "nice to have" but not essential unless you're doing a lot of really high speed work like video editing or lots of high-graphic computer gaming.  In most cases if you have a PC that works, it would be worthwhile spending money on increasing the memory to 256MB, 512MB or even 1GB, rather than throwing the box away and starting from scratch.  I've also resisted the temptation to upgrade my Windows until recently.  Not many months ago, I was still on Windows 98, but I have upgraded to XP now and I find it really stable and excellent.  I especially like the way I can install new software without having to re-boot, and the System Restore can be very useful if things go wrong.

Having said all that, have you seen the TV ads for Dell Dimension at £349? It comes with a 15" LCD screen! Seems incredible value to me!  There is something nice about getting a new PC with all the Operating system newly configured and everything set up ready to use!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version