Off Topic > Computer Help

Internet Connection

(1/5) > >>

Mary:
I've been with Freeserve for quite some time now but on and off I get connection problems :huh:

We have broadband but often I cannot get a connection.  When I turn on the PC the connection box appears and 9/10 times I connect fine.  Other times it doesn't connect as it says 'No dial tone found' (but there is a dial tone).  I've noticed that if I then pick up the phone and engage it (dial out) I can then get a connection :huh:   Occasionally I still can't get a connection.

This was happening all weekend.  There is often a 'fuzziness' on our telephone line when this happens.  We have had the line checked by BT and they say there is no fault.  We even had a BT engineer out once who said it would be the internet providers fault but that they'll more than likely blame BT :rolleyes:

After I got rather irrate at the weekend, hubby rang Freeserve.  They said the error message was just a general term but didn't necessarily mean that there was no dial tone.  We were told to log out, turn off PC, disconnect the modem and restart/replug everything again.  It worked and we got a connection.  But why should I have to go through this process?  10 minutes later when we used the phone it disconnected me again :angry: Since then though I've had no problems again :huh:

TBH, I'm fed up with it.  I don't want to change IP if it's likely to happen with another IP.  Anyone any idea who/what is at fault?

Gilly:
I would say the ISP Mary. Must admit I couldn't be doing with one of those broadband connections that goes through your phone line, mine is cable so a totally different connection. Not sure what to suggest if there is no cable in your area really?? I know my sister has broadband with Freeserve/Wanadoo and she occasionally has problems. Sorry not much help am I !!!

Mary:

--- Quote ---I would say the ISP Mary. Must admit I couldn't be doing with one of those broadband connections that goes through your phone line, mine is cable so a totally different connection. Not sure what to suggest if there is no cable in your area really?? I know my sister has broadband with Freeserve/Wanadoo and she occasionally has problems. Sorry not much help am I !!!
[snapback]104550[/snapback]
--- End quote ---

We do have cable in the area....NTL.  That's all I'm saying :rolleyes:

Gilly:
Ahhh wouldn't bother then!!!

suzysu:
:) I have BT Broadband and hav'nt had any problems - it never cuts me off either ..... touch wood !  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version