Author Topic: "wee wees" and stopping when walking  (Read 1213 times)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
"wee wees" and stopping when walking
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
I’m after a bit of advice.
Charlie is 7 months old; I’ve had him since he was 14 weeks old. I don’t think he’d been taken for walks before I got him (if he had I’d be surprised – that was the impression I got anyway). When I got him he was a nightmare to walk – he’d just put the brakes on and refuse to go. He is a LOT better now. However he’ll still do it occasionally. Normally a bit of coaxing/waiting/picking him up and carrying him a little will get him going again – but he doesn’t appear to enjoy his walks.
On Saturday we were out for 2 walks, first walk was just around the local streets (we have a dog walking track but he point blank refuses to go up there), he put the brakes on and I had to carry him (we were downwind of a burnt house) upwind he was ok. Second walk, we were up by the river next to the ferry terminal and again the brakes were on – don’t know what it was, I had to carry him and then he was ok – he walked back ok (past the same spot). I could smell petrol from the ferry so I did wonder if it was that.
Sunday out for our walk, he was a nightmare; brakes on every few minutes – because I’d forgotten to let him out for a wee before we left.
Ok he’s not normally that bad, it was just a bad weekend it would seem.
Questions:
How can I encourage him to not put the brakes on – as I said he doesn’t always do it.
How can I encourage him that it’s ok to “wee wee” on walks? The poor boy holds it all in until we get home. 
I’ve normally just stood next to some grass for him and asked if he wants a wee – sometimes he’ll go and other times he’ll pull to go back home when I ask. He’s perfectly happy going in my garden and my parents garden…
I know it will take time; he is a little nervous of new things, but once he’s shown it he’s generally ok.

Edit: I should say he's absolutely fine with his leader and harness. Sometimes he can be as good as gold but other times he’s a royal pain in the backside.

My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline DinkyDewi

Re: "wee wees" and stopping when walking
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
To me he just sounds scared.

At 14 weeks he shouldn't have been on walks before due to his vaccinations. A lead is a scary thing for many dogs and each dog has to learn to accept it.

Personally i'd go right back to basics, get him walking happily on the lead in the house and garden stepping it up when he appears unphased.

Also I must stress although picking him up is easier for you is actually reinforcing this behaviour. He's scared, thinks if I stop i'll get picked up, sorted he doesn't haven't to face his fears. This is the same for talking to him in the way you'd praise him when he's done something good. This is not to say you should punish him in any way for this behaviour.

Take him out and treat him every few steps he takes. Literally walk him a few metres down the road and back home. He'll come round eventually but you need to take the right steps to not scare him further.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

There's some great info on that link, although it's for young puppies I feel he may benefit from it.

Hope he gets more confident soon :D

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »
He is fine on his lead.

I'll read the link tomorrow thank you when I'm on the computer.

He can walk the same way 10 times and one time he'll be scared, the rest he'll be good as gold (sd he was on todays walk)

Offline DinkyDewi

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
Oh ok. Could he just be stubborn and a little lazy?

Saying that he's young and still growing. Maybe he's in pain because he's growing and just doesn't feel like walking? If you're really concerned get him down the vet.

Silly Charlie :) He's damn cute by the way!

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »
He may be lazy and stubborn hehe.

I think the problem is I mainly take him out when its dark/dusk. Which is more my problem than his problem. He can be a bit nervous of new things (until he's shown they are ok).

Although all three weekend walks were in day light...

Offline DinkyDewi

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »
Just out of interest how long are these walks?

He's still young, could it be that he's tired later in the day? My rescue boy used to be VERY grumpy in an evening but appears to have just grown out of it. He was the same in the foster home for the seven months he was there.

I'm throwing any thought out there now. You never know ;)

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:46:56 PM »
between half an hour and an hour normally.

His limit seems to be 45mins before he's "bored" or tired and wants to go home.

The first 50m of the walk are the worst, once we are about 50m away from home he's fine  >:D

Offline karen488

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
Think I would just keep him to 45 min walks then and build up v gradually. That's the rec amount for 7 months anyway.  ;)

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
Do you take him to places where you can let him off and play with him?  He may be more enthusiastic if he knows he's going somewhere fun.  Does he like toys at all?  If so, you could take his favourite toy to encourage him, and also do some training while you are out.  Playing and fun training could help to focus his mind on something - you and the game - rather than 'the scary stuff'.  Also a number of short, fun walks and play might help rather than a couple of longer ones until he's happier.  I vary my dogs' walks and routes - sometimes we go in the car, sometimes from the house, but they associate 'walking' with fun, especially Ollie who loves games.  Emily never refuses to walk, but dislikes one of the parks (for some odd reason), so when I do take them there (rarely) I make sure I take her some treats so we can do some training and she loves that.  Most of their walks are off lead as they enjoy that more than road walking.  Hope Charlie starts to enjoy his walks soon.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie