Author Topic: How quickly danger erupts  (Read 788 times)

Offline tritonx

How quickly danger erupts
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:15:42 AM »
I wa sitting in my garden enjoying a beer after a tiring bout of weeding when a woman with a small dog walked past. Her dog couldn't  see Fraser,  but obviously smelled him ss he began to growland bark aggressively. Fraser had been relaxing on the grass but got up and began to bark. I grabbed him by the collar to prevent him from racing along the fence in full battle roar.  He twisted in n my hand and my thumb was caught tightly in his collar. I tried to get my humb out but it was caught fast and the collar was wound very tighly around Fraser's throat. Luckily he didn't  panic though to tell the truth,  I  could feel panic rising in my chest as I  struggled to free him. Just as I  was beginning to wonder if I  was somehow going to have to get him into the house to cut him free and how much time did I  have before his oxygen was cut off,  he put his front legs on my thigh,  bringing him close and I  was able to reach the clasp and loosen the collar.  What a close thing! From a lovely sunny day to an emergency. If he had panicked and started to struggle and bite in fear I might not have able to find the clasp and release him, quite apart from the danger of being attached to a panicked dog.  The more I  think about it, the scarier it seems. But luck was with us and he's  happily agitating to be taken out for a walk. (Typing on a touch keyboard so might not have caught all the typos.)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: How quickly danger erupts
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:08:07 AM »
Glad all ended well

what a fright tho

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 07:47:32 AM »
Gosh poor you and poor Fraser

Hope he is none the worse this morning for his ordeal  :luv:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
I've had that happen with one of mine, its scary isn't it because all you need to do it loosen your grip but you can't because they've twisted over and collar is too tight. Think I managed to do the same as you.

I also had another similar fright when they had their collars on. I have a ferplast plastic dog bed, cost quite a bit too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-Pet-Products-Sleepy-98x63x29cm/dp/B001MZV0W4/ref=sr_1_21?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1336394788&sr=1-21

And once I heard my dog screaming and squealing, they were in the garden drying after a wet walk but weather had been sunny, luckily I was still in, anyway I rushed outside frantically scanning for all 4 dogs, when I saw Phoebe practically strangling herself on this bed. What had happened is she must have been lay on it and her dangly bone ID tag must have dangled in one of those slants. Then she must have tried to lift her head and realised she was stuck, then she panicked, tried to move away from the bed only to find it was following her and when I found her she was backed into a corner, her collar tight to her neck and she was unable to move but was effectively strangling herself. I freed her and assumed it was a freak accident, only to find it happened again shortly afterwards when one of them had the same ID tag on. The pet bed has since been removed from use.

Be careful if you have one of them.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
I often say having a dog is just like having a toddler. When you travel, your car is filled with dog stuff -- beds,  food,  snacks,  water and food bowls. Only thing different is lack of diaper bag though you'll  have a plentiful supply of poop bags. And,  as we've probably all experienced,  they can get themselves into trouble in a heartbeat. Fraser was fine seconds after he was freed. Something to be said for such a carefree approach to life  :D