Off Topic > Computer Help

New Pc/laptop - Wireless?

(1/2) > >>

suzysu:
:blink: Its the techie dumbo again......... sorry!

As posted on a previous thread am having problems with memory on my PC at the moment.  I had some great advice from Gilly and Suki - thanks guys.

My PC is old now and am still not sure whether to add extra memory or cut my losses and go for a new one.  If I do am torn between a PC and a laptop.  Would really like a laptop, but my broadband modem only just reaches my PC and certainly would'nt reach to my sofa !  :rolleyes: ........ so I wondered about a wireless laptop.

:rolleyes: Knowing what a thickie I am - can someone please help me in simple terms  :blink:   If I buy a wireless laptop (Centrino?) how do I get the broadband that is currently linked to my PC to work with the wireless laptop.  (I would'nt be keeping the PC).

I've bought some PC/Laptop mags, but am totally confused.........help !  :blink:

sweetie:
how funny sue,i was looking at them too,i wondered whether you have to get it linked to your existing account,and if you have to pay the extra,will be interested to see the replies here :)

ReadingSteve:
This is really easy (and cheap!)

The piece of kit you need is a wireless router.  Should cost you no more than £30 or £40.  Essentially, you connect your incoming broadband connection to the router and it "routes" the incoming signal to one or several PCs connected.  

Some routers have wired as well as wireless connections, so you could connect your existing PC to one of the ethernet connections on the router, and just use wireless for the new PC.

You don't have to buy a laptop with wireless built in, although that's probably the easiest these days. However, a wireless PCMCIA card that plugs into the socket on the laptop would be another option. Some wireless routers are packaged with such a card in the box for very little extra money.

Finally once you do set up wireless, make sure to configure this as a secure connection using WEP. Although this doesn't make you 100% secure, it does prevent any near neighbours from connecting to the Internet using your broadband!  There should be full instructions on how to do this in the manual that comes with your router.

suzysu:

--- Quote ---Finally once you do set up wireless, make sure to configure this as a secure connection using WEP. Although this doesn't make you 100% secure, it does prevent any near neighbours from connecting to the Internet using your broadband! 
--- End quote ---
Gosh - did'nt realise that could happen !  :o

Thanks very much Steve for the info  ;)   If I decided to get a normal laptop is there any way of extending my broadband modem as it only just reaches my PC and would'nt go as far as the sofa at the other end of the room - is there such a thing as an extension?  :blink:

Just trying to weigh up all the options  :rolleyes:  :D

Annette:

Hi Sue.

Steve has Buddy on his lap so can't get to computer! So he is dictating to me (you should understand at this point that I have no comprehension whatsoever, I'm just typing - badly!)

He says your current broadband connection is presumably either connected by USB port or Ethernet port on your computer. In either case it would be possible to buy a longer cable.

Most new laptops would come with both connections as well but obviously just make sure when you are buying one that it has the right connection.

Overall, wireless is probably the easiest solution for you.

Hope that helps :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version