Author Topic: Halti lead  (Read 345 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Halti lead
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »
So Riley pulls like a steam train sometimes  ph34r
I got the perfect fit harness and bought the halti double ended lead. Im wanting to  make sure Im using it correctly.
Can anyone tell me if I am. I attached the bigger clip to the back of the harness and the smaller one to the front. I must admit I did have so much control, felt like I was steering a horse though.  The back part had less lead and there was more ie it was looser coming from the front.
Also is it meant to be held with both hands as thats what I was doing? thanks.

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
Re: Halti lead
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
Hi Jane
I am not 100% sure but I dont think it makes too much diffference which clip is on the front or back.
if you go here http://www.xtradog.com/shop/harnesses/water-repelling.html?mode=list
this should take you to a video of Marie showing how to use the harness, it does take some practice, and yes, you use both hands.

hope it goes well!!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »
I use the lead much like a rein, one handed and with the front part between ring and little finger and top part between thumb and index finger. I then very gently play on the parts that need attention as the dog walks, so if he pulls a bit I play on the front part until he comes back to me. I never tug or pull, just the lightest of contact works fine.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »
I use the lead much like a rein, one handed and with the front part between ring and little finger and top part between thumb and index finger. I then very gently play on the parts that need attention as the dog walks, so if he pulls a bit I play on the front part until he comes back to me. I never tug or pull, just the lightest of contact works fine.

Thank you , thats exactly how I am using it now. I was explaining that to hubby who was using the one hand for both leads.
I feel good Im using it right lol, I tried to explain to him just a little pull on one side or the other, it sort of confuses Riley into walking better.
Must say he isnt perfect but Im not finishing walks with aching shoulders anymore.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »
Hi Jane
I am not 100% sure but I dont think it makes too much diffference which clip is on the front or back.
if you go here http://www.xtradog.com/shop/harnesses/water-repelling.html?mode=list
this should take you to a video of Marie showing how to use the harness, it does take some practice, and yes, you use both hands.

hope it goes well!!

Thanks Trish I didnt actually see your reply till now. Think Im using it right, its a lot better , not perfect but no sore shoulder and my arm is still in its socket. Thanks for the link  :D