Author Topic: Working or Show Advice  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Parklife78

Working or Show Advice
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »
I bought a Cocker Spaniel Puppy 3 months ago under the impression it was a show type (we bought her as a family pet not with the intention to actually show) Now coming up to 6 months old and someone suggested that she looks more like a working then a show Cocker. To be honest it makes no difference to us as she's here with us to stay, but for peace of mind id like to know for sure.

If someone can advise how I might add a couple of pictures of her I'd be grateful for anyone's help on this. Thanks.

Offline Murphys Law

Re: Working or Show Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:20:22 AM »
On the help and assistance page of the photo thread there is all the info you need. I would link it but I'm on my phone and don't know how to do it.

I will be interested in this because I bought murphy as a show and like you, I was told he looked more like a worker. It turns out he is a bit if both.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »
Hi, what is your dog's registered name? If you post that it can be checked on MyKC and probably worked out what strain your puppy is.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »
Did you not get any papers with the pup? I know that some home breeders don't do papers and this is not a crime. The only trouble is that you do not know whether you are getting a pup who is from a certain type or a mixture.

As you have said it makes no difference now as she is now part of your life and you are happy. Post some pictures and I am sure there will be lots of friendly advice on what people think she is.

Offline daw

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »
I've owned both types, two show, two workers. Both so adorable and wonderful it's hard to distinguish. I think on the whole workers are more intelligent- and maybe more active. Both seem equally sensitive, desperate for company and human contact and willing to give you unconditional love and loyalty so long as you don't abuse their trust. Why would anyone want one? Can't imagine.

Offline Parklife78

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
The mum was a family pet and she was bred with a stud dog, and is from a litter of 9. The breeder showed me kc papers for the mum but didn't have details for the dad. We purchased her as a family pet, and are very happy with her (the Mrs might disagree at times as she is still working on the toilet training so that its all outside)

I'm not concerned either way whether she is show or working as I have no intention of showing her and no intention of working her. Would just be nice to know what characteristics to look out for should she be one, other or mix of the 2 and maybe look to adapt accordingly if required.

I'm sending this from my phone and I can't quite work out how to add pictures but will get logged on the computer and upload a few photos...

Thanks again.

Offline Parklife78

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »

Any advice as to whether she may be a working or show would be appreciated. thanks

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
I'd say that she's a gorgeous Working Cocker……

Comparing the photos with those of our Worker, Chaz, at that age and looking at the flatter head and ears positioned higher up and the shape of the ears, I think you're going to have a very interesting and wonderful time with your young lady  :luv:

She'll probably turn out to be very intelligent, very fast and will soon be able to read your mind. Be prepared for one of the closest and most rewarding relationships in the hooman/dog world  ;)

Bob.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »
I agree with Bob, a beautiful working Cocker puppy, she is absolutely gorgeous  :luv: :luv: I just love her pink belly, perfect for kissing and blowing raspberrries :003:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »
I'd say a mix of worker and show. She looks more working type going on the shape of her head and ear size but she looks oh so gorgeous  :luv: :luv:

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »
There is definitely strong working lines in there but my guess is there is some show too.

Whatever she is, she looks gorgeous and I am sure you will have some great adventures together.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:20 PM »
just to put my oar in  :005:, I haven't got a clue   :huh: but she's a beautiful looking puppy, whatever she is! Have a wonderful life with her!!! ;)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
Gorgeous, mostly worker but I think a bit of show there too.

Offline daw

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
Working or mainly working. Incidentally there are breeders crossing working and show - what's called dual purpose- so you could get the best of both worlds. Beautiful anyway so lucky you. 

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 04:39:31 PM »
Definitely worker in there - she's beautiful!