Author Topic: honest opionions much appriciated.  (Read 1845 times)

jarbaha

honest opionions much appriciated.
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
hi everyone  :D :luv:
not sure if i have put this in the right place, mods please feel free to move if i have not put this in the right place  :D.
i have been doing companion shows for a while now.
and would love to step up a bit and go and do and open show.
which there is one coming up in october near me.
and i was just wondering or asking for some advise,( as i will be new to this as far as an open show is concerned).
can you more serious show people, tell me one if you think melody is good enough to be put into one.
and secondley is her coat right to be put into one. its still very fluffy, which i'm assuming is still puppy coat,it has been clippered once, ages ago, as she was so thick, but i have let it grow back and am re handstripping her.and it seems to be laying quite nicely on her head and back, but her legs still look really woolly, she has also just come out of her first season too.
i've attached some pictures of melody, and would welcome any advise for a complete novice.
i'm also assuming if i was brave enough to put her in an open show, i would put her into puppy in the cocker spaniel class.( correct me if i am wrong).
melody is 8 1/2 months old at present and would be nearly 9 and 1/2 months on the dat of the show.

here are some pictures of melody.

love terri
x

Offline tanner

• Site Member
Re: honest opionions much appriciated.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »
Go for it Terri, we all started in the same way, I was sick the dog was sick  :luv:

Offline KarenB

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:43:45 AM »
Hi Terri, just give it a go, it's not as nerve wrecking as it seems. Do you attend ring craft with Melody, this a good place to start and you will get loads of advice on stacking and presentation. Open shows are fun, a little more competitive than companion but at least she will compete against her own breed.

jarbaha

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »
hi  :D
just wanted to say thank you for your comments.
terri
x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
What are you waiting for - get that entry form in the post!  ;)

Says she who has only done one Open but got at least 2 a month from now till end of year  :005:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:23:03 PM »
Terri.....i've got to say i'm really impressed!....You say that Melody was clipped once already and that you have continued to handstrip since.....well IMO you have don't a brilliant job.....she looks fab! :D

Where abouts are you?  I only ask as you once came to a companion show in Bicknacre near me, if your not too far from there maybe i could suggest and recommend some ringcraft classes for you?

Tori xx
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »
Go for it, Mine stopped for a Poo on the judges assessment of gait!!! and it took me 5 hours to groom as I didn't know what I was doing, it looks like you are most of the way there, what a lovely 'melting expression'!!

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »
I havent been showing for long; Lily has just turned 1, so I cant give pro advice but...

I did a few things before deciding whether to enter Lily in some shows that I found really helped me.  My biggest concern was that she would look out of place amongst 'show dogs'.  I went to some open shows before I entered her and looked at the other dogs trying to decide if she would look OK amongst them.  I also studied how the cocker puppies were trimmed and how all the cockers were stood and moved so that I could practise at home.   

Also...are you still in contact with Melody's breeders, or the owner of her sire?  If they are involved with showing they might be able to give you some advice too?

IMO Melody looks lovely and you are doing well with her trimming  :blink:  I'd try a few shows and see what happens?  Whatever you decide...Good Luck  :D

jarbaha

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:46:23 PM »
Terri.....i've got to say i'm really impressed!....You say that Melody was clipped once already and that you have continued to handstrip since.....well IMO you have don't a brilliant job.....she looks fab! :D

Where abouts are you?  I only ask as you once came to a companion show in Bicknacre near me, if your not too far from there maybe i could suggest and recommend some ringcraft classes for you?

Tori xx

hi tori
thank you.
i will pm you if thats ok.
thank you terri
x

jarbaha

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
I havent been showing for long; Lily has just turned 1, so I cant give pro advice but...

I did a few things before deciding whether to enter Lily in some shows that I found really helped me.  My biggest concern was that she would look out of place amongst 'show dogs'.  I went to some open shows before I entered her and looked at the other dogs trying to decide if she would look OK amongst them.  I also studied how the cocker puppies were trimmed and how all the cockers were stood and moved so that I could practise at home.   

Also...are you still in contact with Melody's breeders, or the owner of her sire?  If they are involved with showing they might be able to give you some advice too?

IMO Melody looks lovely and you are doing well with her trimming  :blink:  I'd try a few shows and see what happens?  Whatever you decide...Good Luck  :D
hi smortsmonki  :D
thank you for your reply.

yes i have tried to pick things up from the pedigree classes,as i have gone along, and just wanted to take it a bit further, and try and do an open show with melody.
but being a novice , its hard, i know we all have to start somewere, but going along to one, on your own for me is very daunting, and a new experince for me.

yes i am in touch with melody's breeder,who is also an a1 judge. and has been involved with cockers for over 35 years, but finding time when melody's breeder is not busy ect is hard.as she is always busy,she has given me some advise.
but its knowing which shows to do, what classes ect for a complete novice  :005:.

but thank you for your message.
terri
x

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 06:55:09 PM »
Why not give it a go ;)
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 07:11:38 PM »
I say give it a go and see if you like it :D

You have done a great job with her coat especially as she has been clipped.

Tracey
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

jarbaha

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:43:04 PM »
hi everyone  :D :luv:
just wanted to say thank you to all who have left me such nice messages and advise and compliments on melody's coat.
all very much apprciative  :D
thank you
love terri
x

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 09:11:25 PM »
Classes:
Puppy which is dogs up to 12 months old
or if no puppy classes then Junoir which is dogs up to 18 months old
If there is one (sometimes ther isn't) you can also do Minor puppy which is dogs between 6 and 9 months old so depends when her birthday or the show are.

if there is an AV class, you can do the same groupings in this too
AV gundog or AV puppy or AV gundog puppy. Any of them!!

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 09:19:45 PM »
As everyone has said "GO for it girl!". What have you got to lose. Melody is beautiful  :luv:
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-