Author Topic: Keyhole Spaying  (Read 2310 times)

Offline rubyduby

Keyhole Spaying
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:54:25 PM »
Has anyone had experience of keyhold spaying in your dog, I am considering getting my dog spayed, tho I think I may struggle to get this procedure locally , she suffers from stress and anxiety and I think a longer stay with the normal spay might be too much for her, also I like the idea that it is a smaller quicker op with same day release, tho I am still wondering why some vets charge twice the rate as normal spaying ….

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Keyhole Spaying
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »
Humphrey was castrated and also had the undescended testicle, which was situated in the groin, removed at the same time using key hole surgery. I realize its not quite the same as spaying but as a general rule, key hole is far less invasive. We collected Humph immediately after surgery and he walked towards us, albeit a bit wobbly, but recovery was very fast. Have also had a hernia repaired myself using this method - If there‘s a choice, I‘d go for it every time...

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
Bea had a Key Hole Spay, she was home very quickly and only had 3 small wounds but it is so important for them to rest as it's still a big operation.

The worst thing for Bea was keeping her calm afterwards so that she didn't hurt herself, not easy with a Cocker !

They dont take all the same "bits" out as a conventional spay so it's always worth talking it through with a vet, that said I would always go for a Key Hole procedure again 😁

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »
Both mine went in for keyhole spay but they found Maddie 's organs were very close together and she had a bleed so they then had to open her further. Bramble's  keyhole was successful. Both were out the same day.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »
Can I ask at what age they were speyed , my girl is 9 mnths and not had a season, the vets are saying BEFORE a season, but my experience of vets is that they are often doing things at the wrong time?????

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »
Vets seem to have differing opinions, even within the same practice!
 Mine had one season then were spayed three months after when the blood vessels return to normal size.  Maddie didn't have her first season until 13 months but Bramble was 9 months.
Personally, I would always wait for at least one season as I feel it allows the dog to mature emotionally and physically. Too early and they are still developing.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Nicnac49

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »
On the timing of spay, there do seem to be differing opinions.
I read on another site that spaying before the first season reduces the risk of mammary tumours.
Others said that spaying before the growth plates have fused (can be as late as 18mths)can cause cause increased risk of bony problems as the sex hormones regulate growth.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
Bea had 2 season's before her operation, she just wasn't mature enough in my opinion to handle it.

You can find all sorts of opinions on this subject especially as every dog is different.

I will try to find my old posts to give you her age.

Sharon.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 10:49:33 AM »
Mine have all been spayed the 'normal' way and are released a couple of hours after they wake up (or as soon as they wake up if they whinge too much) so not sure why your vets do overnight stays as its a simple op (my old vet would do such a small incision it was like keyhole as he just used his little finger to remove everything and I always had to ask if he'd actually done it the wound was so tiny).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 02:05:53 PM »
Is there a reason you want to get her spayed? As I haven’t got my girl/s spayed and don’t plan on it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
Is there a reason you want to get her spayed? As I haven’t got my girl/s spayed and don’t plan on it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me neither, despite reading opinions about reduced risk of various ailments i have issues with any surgery unless needed..
Many disagree but thats my opinion
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.