Author Topic: Scalibor v's Seresto collar  (Read 11011 times)

Offline crazybailey

• Donator
Scalibor v's Seresto collar
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:14:24 PM »
I have spent a large portion of my day researching these collars.  :o now confused.com!
The vet is doing a healthcare plan thing to include boosters, flea, worms (we also have high risk lung worm here)
They are saying they will use Droncit for tape worm, Advocate which will do the rest of worms including heart and lung and also flea, they want to use a seresto collar for tick (which are also rife here) but I can also see that does flea so would that potentially overdose the flea as it's in Advocate?

I have looked up Scalibor which seems to only do tick so in theory wouldn't overdose the flea?

Then my other thing is that I am not sure what the implications are of human skin contact with the collars. We don't sleep with him but obviously have contact whist stroking or sofa cuddles and I also have a 5 year old boy who is sensible but not sure what the health implications could be.
Having done lots of surfing I can kind of see why they are suggesting this combo but I just need to get the collar concern in my head sorted....
anyone use them?

I'm normally on my phone, please forgive any typing errors!

Offline Olwen

• Donator
Re: Scalibor v's Seresto collar
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
I've only used a Scalibor collar ( I think that's the one) when I've taken the dogs abroad, to guard against Leishmaniasis, caused by sand fly I think and even then we didn't need it for Brittany. Not a lot of help sorry.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:56:42 PM »
Personally I wouldn't want my dogs to be wearing chemical impregnated collars, although if I was in a country where Leishmaniasis was a danger they'd have to. But even though we walk in the New Forest every day, where ticks are numerous, I prefer not to use any kind of tick preventative. I check the dogs for ticks after walks and remove any, hopefully before they've latched on, but if not with an O'Tom tick remover. This is the product information on Scalibor http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/scalibor/090_product_datasheet.aspx and it's simply a product I'd be unhappy to use because it seems to have so many health warnings.

I don't use any flea preventative either and have only found 1 flea in 4+ years of not treating. That was a couple of months ago and I treated the dogs then with Practic and sprayed the house with Indorex. No problems since.

I just prefer not to use chemicals on my dogs unless needed, but that's just my opinion and I know many others will have a different opinion :blink:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:21:37 PM »
I agree with Elaine.e. I avoid chemicals unless absolutely vital. use herbal flea treatment - Billy No Mates. Ticks are very prevelant here. Before I started the BNM I was removing 4-5 (before they were attached) from Archie's fur after every walk. If I missed any, then the OTom soon removed them. With BNM I still check after each walk but rarely find them. I don't have a flea problem so far either. If I do suspect the little blighters then I will use stronghold and also treat the house.  I have only done this once in the last two years, when Archie caught a rabbit that was visibly crawling with them.  :020:

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »
My late Cocker Charley had a Scalibor collar for many years when I had my holiday home in France.  He never suffered any adverse effects and I only ever found one dead tick on him, which had not adhered to his skin.  Although I'm not in favour of the random use of chemicals on dogs, a Scalibor collar is vital if you are visiting a region where tick borne and sand fly diseases are endemic.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
Personally I wouldn't want my dogs to be wearing chemical impregnated collars, although if I was in a country where Leishmaniasis was a danger they'd have to. But even though we walk in the New Forest every day, where ticks are numerous, I prefer not to use any kind of tick preventative. I check the dogs for ticks after walks and remove any, hopefully before they've latched on, but if not with an O'Tom tick remover. This is the product information on Scalibor http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/scalibor/090_product_datasheet.aspx and it's simply a product I'd be unhappy to use because it seems to have so many health warnings.

I don't use any flea preventative either and have only found 1 flea in 4+ years of not treating. That was a couple of months ago and I treated the dogs then with Practic and sprayed the house with Indorex. No problems since.

I just prefer not to use chemicals on my dogs unless needed, but that's just my opinion and I know many others will have a different opinion :blink:

I agree - and we're borders of wiltshire/hants as well so probably in the same region as you and Elaine  ;)  I think your vet's health scheme is lining his pocket and o.d'ing your dog with chemicals  :shades: 

We use an o-tom for ticks and billy no-mates,  have only had fleas when other dogs have kindly bought them in (dealt with Practic and Indorex), do not preventatively worm, and never use a spot on.

To be honest, when you're meant to not touch the collar or keep cats away then really, is it 100 percent safe for your dog??   I agree that if you are in a region endemic with leishmaniasis then it is necessary...but I still wouldn't be happy using one.

helen & jarvis x

Offline crazybailey

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
Thanks all, thoses collars just sound horrid.

I keep dipping the toe into research of titre testing and I think I will ask vet when they call me back to discuss the options as I asked them a million questions yesterday and they said they will look into different options and let me know what they can offer on the plan from the ideas I threw at them.

So my expert col'ers...thing things that would be my concerns with non vaccs are;
The Lepto implications?
What about lung worm? Next door neighbour's dog had a few months back and lots round here ( I'm north hampshire).
I'm normally on my phone, please forgive any typing errors!