Author Topic: spots on tummy and chest  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Missy Mischief

spots on tummy and chest
« on: December 31, 2020, 05:23:37 PM »
Hi All
We've a 2 year old working cocker bitch. Recently shes started developing really angry and pus filled spots on her underside - both on her bare tummy and across her chest, inside of legs. She's had two courses of steroids and anti-biotics, but the vet is cautious of any more. We're currently trying a topical shampoo treatment - if anything we think the spots are getting worse.
We live in the countryside, she gets a huge amount of exercise (I'm a mountain guide) and is off the lead 95% of the time. She zooms around and bounces through bracken, heather etc etc. At first I thought they were perhaps little cuts and scratches getting infected? But now not so sure. She doesn't seem much bothered by them, doesn't particularly itch or lick at them. She's also up to date with all her meds.
Is this 'a cocker thing'? Has anyone else experienced it or got suggestions for things we could try?

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: spots on tummy and chest
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »
Has the vet no idea? If you think it's getting worse with the shampoo i would stop using it for a bit and see how she goes

Hope you get some answers / solutions

Offline Missy Mischief

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 11:20:28 AM »
hi - the vet has said allergy tests and diet options are the next things to explore

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 11:42:31 AM »
What are you feeding her on?

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 01:27:12 PM »
Hello, personally I would stop using the shampoo if it is causing further irritation, and look first at diet.

Offline Missy Mischief

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:09:51 PM »
Yep, i think shes back to the vets on Monday :-(
As I say, shes not bothered by them.

Food; shes on a mix of kibble and wet food; but its the same stuff shes been on for a year. We'll try changing that next.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 05:44:42 PM »
Hi, my dogs get these periodically when they’re working. Broken/ heather can irritate the scratches they get on their underside through hunting. I clean them off with hibiscrub diluted with 2 water. That sorts it quickly enough. Do it for a few days. Mine have never needed any extra treatment.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Missy Mischief

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 10:56:35 AM »
thanks Emilyoliver, will google that and try. As she only has two speeds - full & zero - she crashes through the scrub plants for hours at a time

Offline Toofast

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 05:05:49 PM »
Pardon me for jumping on board your post.

This sounds very similar to what the occasional one of ours get after a day's work in brambles and bracken.

I would not say they ever look sore and angry they are just a mass of small pussy spots, from the chest area and along the tummy and inside back legs. It does not bother anyone who gets them. I either use salt water or Hibiscrub, I firmly rub and bathe / clean the affected areas 2 to 3 times a day.
 Both remedies clear the spots within a couple of days. I would never give my vet the pleasure of giving me a bill to tell me to do exactly the same as I already do.