Author Topic: Eye problem for Dylan  (Read 1081 times)

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Eye problem for Dylan
« on: January 30, 2021, 04:40:00 PM »
This morning while sitting with Dylan on the sofa, the sunshine shone onto his eyes, and I could see a white spot on one. I thought it was mucous first of all, but on examination it was fixed in one place. I bathed his eye, to no avail. So after visiting Mr Google I phoned the vet, and within an hour was in the surgery. He put orange dye in his eye and examined it, and explained the dye shows whether the spot is on top of the cornea or inside it. Apparently the cornea is only five or six cells deep so is easily damaged. He said it could be trauma, but it is inside the layers of cells, so might be a leakage of water or fats into the cornea, which apparently is not uncommon. We have some steroid drops, and a visit in Two weeks. Have to monitor it, and the other eye as well.

Poor Dylan 😢. He was very good in the vet. He's only five. The vet said if it was the latter problem he wouldn't go blind, but could see through it. I've got floaters in my eye after a torn retina and laser surgery, and generally they don’t obscure my vision, so fingers crossed. When we got home he had a good roll around in the snow, it made me wonder if he had hurt his eye doing that, it has been icy here for a couple of weeks.
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Eye problem for Dylan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »
Poor Dylan! Humph sends bum wiggles and hopes he‘s feeling better soon! He had a similar problem a few months ago, his eye was swollen and obviously sore. The vet did the same test with the dye and it showed a scratch, which could have been caused by anything really while he‘d been out and about. We had an antibiotic eye cream and it cleared up in about a week.
Hope Dylan‘s heals as quickly and that it hasn‘t caused any serious damage.
 :bigarmhug: from me and a tail wag from Humphrey! Xx

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:32:39 AM »
Poor Dylan, hope the meds work love n hugs  :luv: :luv: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »
 :bigarmhug: for Dylan, hope the meds work and he is feeling better soon  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »
Thanks folks (and Herr Humph). I don't think it is an injury as there is no inflammation and he is his normal happy self, and the vet couldn't see any scratches. Just have to wait and see.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 09:01:24 PM »
That's unfortunate, hopefully it won't cause any issues.  Good to hear he is his usual happy self and enjoying the snow.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 01:00:46 PM »
Poor boy.   Just a thought. I would be wary of putting anything on it.  When Marti had some whitish little areas on one eye, the vet said they were lipid spots  (fats), caused in her case by her steroid tablets. He reduced her dose, and they went away.  Completely harmless, apparently. 
Sometimes with ointments, you are  putting germs from your fingers onto the eye. Saline drops are fine. But if you know it’s not irritating him,  just watch and wait.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.