Author Topic: Strange Behaviour - Can't Settle after walk  (Read 1326 times)

Offline JimandH

Strange Behaviour - Can't Settle after walk
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:50:56 PM »
Hi there,
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this please .....Halo is a working cocker and will be 1 in March.  He seems right weight, has lots of walks (with ridiculous amount of energy) and toileting all ok as far as I can tell !  He eats well (mix of wet and dry, twice a day).  But in the last couple of weeks, when we come in from a walk he can't settle. He lies down and then after about 5 seconds he suddenly has a spasm type thing and jumps up and runs across the kitchen and lies down somewhere else, this goes on and on for about 30+ minutes.  It is like something is wrong or hurting inside perhaps but I have no idea what it might be.  After a while he chills and no issues over night in his cage or anything.

Thought I'd ask on here in case its  typical cocker behaviour, as its our first one.  Otherwise I can speak to a vet but hard to describe.

Many thanks, in advance,
Helen

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Strange Behaviour - Can't Settle after walk
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 06:46:25 PM »
Don't know what this is, Maybe he just needs to wind-down after the excitement of his walk and games. Some cockers are known for doing'zoomies' whereby they just bolt around the room, jumping on furniture and anything that gets in the way, until they just run out of the excess energy they have in bodies.

If you do decide to take him to vets maybe a good idea to get movie on your phone - so you can show the vet what you mean, that might help. Also maybe try a settling idea like a nylabone chew and some time in a cosy cage for a while?

Minstrel (7.5 years) is not a worker but is highly strung sometimes and he sometimes takes ages to settle down, going round and round in circles for quite a while. not particularly after a walk though - could be any time.

Hopefully more peeps will have a better idea  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 07:25:40 PM »
Hi
If this behaviour is new then personally I would get a vet to check him out.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:12:15 PM »
are his walks over the same ground every time.  if so  I would just change the walk in case its something in that environment  ie, nettles, road salt etc. will he allow you to do a hands on all body feel to see if you can locate the painful area.
  Also as previous mentioned a video would be a help with a vets visit.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 09:02:01 PM »
I’d think it’s nettles. Piriton (drowsy only) can be used to help. Half or one tablet depending on weight.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »
I’d think it’s nettles. Piriton (drowsy only) can be used to help. Half or one tablet depending on weight.

I agree, worth a vet check and ask for piriton while you are there.

Offline JimandH

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
Thanks everyone, really apreciate you taking the time to reply - I think you might have got it spot on with nettles, especially the last part of the walk near our house, hadn't thought of that at this time of year.  Assume this is some kind of animal piriton and not normal one (I have liquid and tablets for children !). 
He definitely does the 'zoomies' too - love that phrase @MudMagnets ! - I can tell when its excitement, opposed to discomfort.
Thanks again,
Helen & Halo !

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 04:58:51 PM »
It is the priton people use.  But must make sure it is the drowys one as the other is dangerous for dogs
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline JimandH

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 04:53:34 PM »
Just to follow up on this ----- today took him to the vet and they found a really big long gash on his tummy - hidden in all the hair - they think its a couple of weeks old, which makes perfect sense - but now its infected and so antibiotics, lead walks only (that's going to be a test) - they said they would have glued/stitched it at the time but now too late and wide and infected - yuk.  Glad I decided to get vet advice anyway but feel like terrible owner for now having seen it before or realised he'd done it.  But it hasn't stopped him belting around the countrywide twice a day but thats not allowed now while it heals.   Thanks for all your help.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 07:09:57 PM »
Oh dear, poor little chap! Don‘t beat yourself up though, its so easy to miss these things, particularly with all the hair.
Hope he‘s feeling better soon!  :luv:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »
Tricky thing about cockers, they can't tell us what's wrong. And sometimes I'm not sure they would even if they could. Tough and happy little dogs! You noticed something was off and took him to the vets and now he's healing. Can't do more than our best   ;)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 09:13:36 PM »
Poor lad, it's unfortunate and one of the perils of being a crazy cocker.  :luv: But you know now, and you are getting it sorted, you live and learn.