Author Topic: Letpo 2 vs Lepto 4  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
Letpo 2 vs Lepto 4
« on: February 22, 2021, 03:59:58 PM »
Hello,

Hoping to seek a better understanding of owners opinions and experiences with regards to the Lepto 2 vaccination vs Lepto 4. Milo is due his first booster with me (currently just 14 months old we picked him up at 8 months old). He was Vaccinated with his breeder with L2 and she has said she prefers to not vaccinate her dogs with L4. I've done a little Google research (probably to my own detriment) and also spoken to my own vet (who only offer L4).

I'm concerned about reports of over-dosing and side effects and so was hoping to hear some opinions for and against both vaccinations before I solidly make my mind up.

Milo is my 3rd cocker and in the past my previous 2 were only ever vaccinated with L2 so L4 is very new to me.

All opinions appreciated.
Best Wishes

Claire
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Letpo 2 vs Lepto 4
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »
Hi! To vaccinate or not to vaccinate, that is the question!   :shades: :lol2:
Its such a dilema and despite reading books and various articles on the subject I‘m still on the fence so Humphrey has therefore not had either. I‘m not going to offer an opinion as it has proved to be a bit of a sensitive subject on here in the past, we‘re all in different situations faced with varying risk levels depending on where we live, the health and age of our dogs etc.  To my knowledge, ( although I stand to be corrected, )the vaccine doesn‘t cover all strains of the disease and is only effective for a relatively short period anyway so needs renewing fairly frequently, I therefore decided that the risk of over immunization was, for us, higher than the risk of infection. Neither of my previous dogs had Lepto vaccines.
I don’t suppose this has brought you any nearer to a decision  (sorry! ) but perhaps when you have a few more opinions you‘ll be able to see what the majority have done.
Best of luck!  ;) :luv:

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:01:16 PM »
Hi. This is such a touchy subject! I personally haven’t had my two boosted for about 5 years now and have them titre tested instead which, so far, has shown they are fully protected with antibodies.
With regards to Lepto I haven’t had this done either as research shows it doesn’t cover all strains and doesn’t last a full year anyway.   Lepto is fully treatable with antibiotics anyway so I took the decision to not have it done.   It’s all a personal decision and I don’t use chemical worming or flea treatments either!
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 07:17:51 PM »
I have not vaccinated for lepto for many years and to be honest initially I was titre testing for everything else but haven’t even done that for a few years now 😳 a lot of the information I was reading talked about long term immunity from initial inoculations.
I agree with the others it can be a sensitive topic but I have always firmly believed there are risks either way from both over inoculation or not inoculating at all. We can’t always get it right, you just have to go with what you feel is right for you and your dog.

I once asked our vet how many cases of lepto they saw each year and it was 1 or 2, I then asked how much epilepsy, or auto immune disease they saw and it was hundreds. Now I know it’s not all related to over inoculation but it helped me make my mind up.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 07:37:04 PM »
I won’t use lepto 4....and luckily my vet agrees with me.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 07:47:01 PM »
I also insist on L2. Given a choice I wouldn't bother with any given all the different opinions but all my dog insurers have stated that the dog must be vaccinated to get covered.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
Thank you all for your replies so far and thank you for your honesty. I certainly appreciate and respect both points of view and certainly don’t judge those who are for or against vaccinating. I think it’s quite a personal decision and differs from person to person/dog to dog.

I think my main concern is that of the very little I know about L4 it is not positive. When I asked my vet who we’ve been with for more than 20 years they said they had no known cases where dogs had adverse reactions in London. Problem is I’m very much a visual person and like to see things written down but information seems to be quite limited. 

Our appointment is on Friday atm and I’m still undecided. It’s such a mine field.
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
All ours are vaccinated and have the L4.  They work, are in ditches and we have chickens which raises the risk of Lepto.  Last March I was able to take two dogs for vaccinations during the first lockdown as they were at risk.

I would ask your Vets opinion and which strains are in your area/areas you are likely to travel to.  My older cocker took a reaction to the L4 the first tome she had it, she was unwell for around 10 days but then I’m pretty sure she had Lepto the year before and was very unwell for 3 weeks that year (all the symptoms but not checked for or confirmed by the Vet).  The Insurance Company were insistent she was vaccinated, it took a phone call and letter from the Vet before they would accept her policy without a Lepto vaccine.  She was titre tested but it only tells you if they have Leptospirosis or have been exposed to it, not that they have immunity.  Her results came back to say she had been exposed to Lepto, though it may have been from previous inoculations.  The following year my husband took her for her vaccine and forgot to mention to the Vet that she didn’t need the vaccine - she had no reaction to the L4 jab that year.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 07:05:47 PM »
My boys have both had L4 since it changed from L2 and thankfully fingers crossed have not had bad reaction to either. They are 6 and 7 years old and have had the jabs since pups.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 12:51:22 PM »
Our boosters are due now,  though they’ve been delayed first by the vet delaying them as non emergency,  and today we should have been going but said vet has gone into hospital. 
I grudgingly have the  5 or 7 in 1  for insurance and kennelling.  But I want the lepto immediately, due to chickens, digging, septic tank and the associated rats squirrels etc.    I will ask the locum vet for an opinion on the 2 or 4.
I know it is now treatable, but we had a Westie die from it when I was a teenager. It is contagious to other pets and humans,  all the toys ad bedding had to be destroyed, and the house disinfected. It is a dreadful disease.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 07:00:34 PM »
Thanks again for your honest replies. It has helped me.

He’s booked in tomorrow morning and I’m 80% sure I’ll let him have the L4. Last year we had 2 rats in our garden (although we live in an urban/town setting) we are surrounded by large parks, woodland, allotments and protected  nature spaces. He frequently swims in the local stream/river and romps around the woods with other dogs. So I think it’s probably sensible to have him vaccinated on this basis alone. I’ll still have another chat with our vet though before I agree to anything. They have said with the L4 is a 2 jab procedure 4weeks apart. Anyway fingers crossed he has no adverse reaction 🤞🏻

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »
Vaccination day, and I forgot to ask about the lepto. So before I could blink, holding struggling dog whilst vet stabbed him in the bottom with lepto 2 cocktail.  I was more interested in why my vet was on crutches with a cracked hip and 2 vertebrae . He fell lifting a washing machine 16 days ago.  He can’t sit for long so is happier at work.  Probably doesn’t trust  a locum to even do booster jabs,  he’s a one man clinic.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.