Author Topic: how much food?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
how much food?
« on: February 18, 2004, 11:18:29 AM »
Hi,

My burns puppy food bites arived today. Please can someone advise me how much to give her, she weighs 4 kilos. the min weight on the guide on the website is 10 kilos, and i want to start weaning her gradually..
At present she has weetabix in the morning, and 3oz raw meat with biscuits and added supplements at lunch time and ameat and biscuits again at early evening, and 2 scrambled eggs for supper.

i just really need to know how much meat to take a away and replace with these bites. and then when weaned, how much she should have in the day.

My aim is to have her on scrambled eggs at lunchtime and the burns meal about 5pm,  with her weetabix and milk in the morning.

All advice welcome.

Thanks                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
how much food?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 11:26:01 AM »
Alan, I got a handy plastic cup scoop for Burns food, from my local pet shop. The recommended amount is really small, so I'd get a cup from your pet shop if you can - it has a scale on the side for different types of Burns foods, including mini bites.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

how much food?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 12:30:03 PM »
I would phone Burns up for advice as they were very helpful when I was looking into giving my dogs this food (when Wilf was diagnosed with cancer) and they really are the best people (as they developed it in the 1st place).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
how much food?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 01:49:30 PM »
I got a cup form the vet today as she had her first innoculation. I saw on the side of the bag, it says about 50g, this seems a tiny amount.

Thanks, and i have sent an email to Burns Also.                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
how much food?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »
Oh, good. I was shocked by the amount to feed as well. I do feed Indie more than that, I asked my vet's advice and he's a perfect weight and eats nearly double the amount.

He's still only having wee walks now, when he can go for hour long marathons he'll maybe need more then too.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

how much food?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 01:34:40 PM »
I've just been told by Burns to feed pups 20g/kg per day and adults 10g/kg per day                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
how much food?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 01:50:20 PM »
I spoke to burns again recently, as Jazz seems ravenous all the time, and very skinny. They told me pups on there food do tend to be on the slim side as the lack of protein and fat in the diet, but told me to boost her up to 120 gs per day, she weighs 4.4 kg.

I thought puppies should generally have a little pot belly, but was concerned when her rib cage was so prominent.. since I increased her feed, she feels alot more healthy, but still doesn't have the 'pot' Burns said this is normal on there food. I am alot happier now with the amount she is eating.

She goes mad at dinner times, and I have never seen a dog eat so fast and go so mad as the bowl is being put down...                    
CATHY