Author Topic: Sickly Sophie  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
Sickly Sophie
« on: February 19, 2004, 10:59:46 AM »
My 7 yr old cocker girl Sophie does not seem right at all. I am taking her to the vet shortly (today), but I wondered if there's anything that anyone can think of as to what might be going on?

On Monday evening she became unable to get onto the settee and even to get over the doorstep to go outside.  Apart from being a little quiet she seemed ok otherwise.  I suspected that she had probably pulled a muscle whilst hurtling about the garden.  Since then she has rested, I haven't walked her and she is standing of her own accord to wait to be lifted over the doorstep etc (not attempting to get over it herself).

However last night/this morning she seems worse.  During the night her breathing seemed much heavier and she seemed uncomfortable.  She seemed reluctant to lie down and kept sitting or standing up and panting.  This morning she ate her breakfast, but she's just not herself, she looks quite stiff whilst walking too.

I don't know if there would be any relevance at all in this but 6 months ago she had an operation to have a lump removed from her flank - which turned out to be a fatty lump, I can feel an area of scar tissue which I believe to be normal.  
Also last month she had her booster injection, and had a blood test - the results showed that her kidneys weren't functioning efficiently, but she had another blood test last week and the results were within the normal range.

I know I'm clutching at straws until she's at least seen the vet again but you never know if this all might make sense to someone?  I just want to help her however I can.

Rachel, Sophie & Billy                    
Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Sickly Sophie
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 01:24:40 PM »
Poor Sophie

I'm sorry She's not well. Some of the others may have some ideas. Let us know how you get on at the vets though.                    
Anita

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Sickly Sophie
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 03:30:23 PM »
Although i dont have any advise for you Rachel, I wanted to reply to let you know how sorry i am to hear that Sophies not feeling herself, I think most of us will know the worry when our pets become ill, and as Anita said, please do let us know how she gets on.

((((((((Big hugs for you both)))))))))))))                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Sickly Sophie
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 05:21:38 PM »
Hope Sophies ok :( It could be anything really - heavy breathing/panting can be a sign of pain & dogs that have hurt their backs can react like Sophie but I wouldn't like to second guess here. Hopefully your vet will be able to get to the bottom of things. Good luck!

Jane                    
Jane

Offline niv

• Site Member
Sickly Sophie
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 06:06:12 PM »
my heart goes out to you, please let us know how sophie gets on.this could be anything but keep your chin up yours thoughtfully niv xx                    

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
Sickly Sophie
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 09:07:15 PM »
Thankyou so much to you all for being so thoughtful and caring.  I really have been so worried for Soph today but it was a comfort to read your messages.
Her vet thinks that it could possibly be arthritis in her hips or she may have damaged a disc in her lower back, but it could be that she has fallen and hurt herself whilst playing in the garden. She's been prescribed Rimadyl but if there is no improvement by sunday she has to go back for x-rays on monday.
The panting would have been because she became stressed and uncomfortable.  Her lumpectomy and recent blood test results have no significance which is as thought, although you never know.
She was quite distressed when we got home and kept making sad little noises  :(  but she has now settled down and although still not wanting to move about, she does seem to have got a bit of that sparkle back into her eyes again.  Hoping that she will feel better tomorrow, I shall let you know how it goes.  Thanks again for being there xxx
Rachel, Sophie & Billy                    
Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx