Author Topic: Bunny Hopping Cocker Spaniel  (Read 2332 times)

Offline MissyT

• Site Member
    • http://www.raph.org.au/bobbys_diary.htm
Bunny Hopping Cocker Spaniel
« on: February 19, 2004, 11:39:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone here can help.  I have had Tia since June last year when I adopted her she was 10 months old, and was from a pound. I have rang the vet in the town that she came from and they couldnt tell me where she came from so I have no idea of her parantage. The only Cocker breeder in town was the one that put me on to her and she didnt recognise her. :roll:  

Today when we were out playing with the dogs we noticed that Tia when she is in a full run bunny hops.  She bounces along instead of the normal running that our other dog does, she walks normally and slow trots normally. I hadnt taken too much notice before it was my partner that picked it up.

Could that mean that she has hip problems?  She is only 18 months old, and Its a scary thought.

Thanks
Colleen                    
Life is so cruel so many dogs are euthanaised because people dont have their animals desexed.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 02:17:24 PM »
Hi MissyT

A bunny-hopping gait can be a symptom of hip displaysia but only a vet can diagnose this for you so if you're worried take Tia along for a check-up & get your vet to put your mind at rest :) Even if Tia's hips are less than perfect, she may still not experience too many problems as it all depends on the severity of the HD.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline MissyT

• Site Member
    • http://www.raph.org.au/bobbys_diary.htm
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 02:39:05 PM »
Jane

Thank you for your reply and I realised after I posted this message that I should have gone into the health section.  The other Forum I go to doesnt have as many categories as this one everthing tends to get lobbed into General.  

It had never occured to me that she had a problem, she had always run the same way.  She will be going to the vets in the next couple of weeks I dont want her to deteriate.

thanks
Colleen                    
Life is so cruel so many dogs are euthanaised because people dont have their animals desexed.