Author Topic: urgent help please blood in poo again!!  (Read 4126 times)

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
urgent help please blood in poo again!!
« on: February 20, 2004, 09:19:31 PM »
Not sure if this belongs in puppies?

Bon Bon is 12 weeks and has had runny poo since the day we got her!!

Today she had her 3rd visit to the vet and should have had her final jabs but couldnt because of her runs. Today the vet gave her nisamox antibiotics. When she took bon bons temperature bon bon squeled like a stuck pig. The vet said she must be very sore due to such prolongeg runs.

Tonight bon bon s poo is slightly thicker but still runny and there was a couple of spots of slighly frothy blood not in the poo but seperate from it.

We are panicing now!!!

We are in two minds to call the vet out of hours but Ive read so much on a few spots of blood in poo is to be expected in cases of prolonged runs?

We wonder if the thermometer has caused a slight bleed in her rectum as we have had no blood since the a couple of days after we got her until her first poo following the thermometer up her bum??

We feed her burns as per this sites reccomendation.

She is insured for her first 6 weeks with petplan but they have no 24 hour advice line!!! ggrrrr! so she will be insured by Tesco who have once the 6 weeks are up.

Any help would be so gratefully received

Many Thanks
Jane                    
Dull women have immaculate homes

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 10:56:29 PM »
Hi Jane

My cocker Daisy experienced similar symptoms when we first got her - very runny mucuosy poo for a few weeks with spots of red which was apparently blood. In Daisy's case, just as a precaution the vet prescribed some panacur to eliminate the possibility of lungworm (as she had a slight cough at the same time). It is possible that if Bob Bon is a bit inflamed internally, the redness/blood could have been caused by the thermometer.  Many pups experience diarrohea to some degree when first settling in to their new home, and hopefully this isnt anything to worry about. But of course, you should consult your vet just in case as I think it's better to be safe than sorry where pups are concerned.                    

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 11:13:12 PM »
thanks Mike much appreciated.

In our panic we just rung the emergency vet and she said we need to watch her overnight( we will both sleep downstairs with her)

and to take her to the emergency vet in the am.

Since we talked to the vet she has bled again with her poo but not init if you know what I mean. Bright red drops of fresh blood. Im wondering if the thermommeter has punctured her in some way??

Looks like a long night ahead!

Jane                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 08:13:01 AM »
The soreness may have ruptured some small blood vessels but usually this would be the case if she was constipated and having trouble going to the toilet :?

Hope the vet will be able to sort this out for you, keep us informed :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 09:25:21 AM »
Hope everything goes okay at the vet this morning Jane - let us know!                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 12:18:22 PM »
I was worried abou thtis the other week but along with my vet came to the conclusion that Wilf has been chewing somethig he shouldn't (sticks!)and it had scraped the sides on the way out hence the blood. I doubt if the thermometer would do this sort of damage.

Good luck with the vet I know how worrying all this illness is in your own dogs                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 09:46:45 PM »
Thanks so much everyone.

Bon Bon has colitis, she had an antibiotic injection this morning and 24 hours now without food then onto hills canned for 2 day's.
Just hope she is better by Friday for her final jabs!! She cant wait to get out and explore the mountains.

What a worry she was last night but  much calmer now. Feel so cruel not feeding her as she has the appetite of a horse!!
Jane                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 10:57:05 PM »
Hi Jane

:( Poor Bon Bon, but at least with the medication and the food she will be on the mend :)   You did right to call the vet Jane, sometimes our extincts just tell us theres something not right.

Give Bon Bon a cuddle from me and Indie, bless her.                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 10:43:14 AM »
Sorry to hear about Bon Bon! At least you know what it is now and know it is not your fault for taking her temperature!
Hope she goes on alright.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 11:18:18 AM »
sorry to hear about poor Bon Bon, hopefully the medication and lack of food!!!!!!! :( will have her all better in time for her jabs on friday.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed but i'm sure she'll be just fine :wink:  :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 11:17:55 AM »
Hi Jane,

I am sorry to hear that Bob Bon has been poorly with colitis.  My puppy Tilly suffered from this a few months ago and I sympathise with your feelings.  The noise she made when the vet felt her tummy was terrible - stuck pig indeed!  I thought you might like to know that Tilly had the injection and some medicine, similar to Bon Bon and was as right as rain within a few days.  I am sure Bon Bon will feel better soon.  It is a nasty thing to have, but you did the right thing in taking her to the vets when you did - I was told that it is very difficult to clear up colitis without the medication.  Fortunately Tilly has been fine ever since, although I do tend to worry should she have a slightly runny poo!  

Good luck to Bon Bon in the mountains. It sounds wonderful!

Sue and Tilly.                    

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 09:11:50 PM »
Thanks so much everyone.
 Bon Bon is doing very well, no more runs as yet and she loves the prescription diet. Just hope she fattens up by Friday so she can have her final jabs.
 I keep telling her to sit still not burn up any calories and be a couch spud but she is having none of it!
jane