Author Topic: Last night I gave Indie some fresh salmon (m)  (Read 1446 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Last night I gave Indie some fresh salmon (m)
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:32:16 PM »
poached. No bones, I checked thoroughlly. After he'd scoffed it, he was breathing really quickly all evening - he slept with us as I was so worried. This morning he's fine, but it upset me last night. Did I make a mistake by giving him some, and poison him?

I'm concerned I've been really stupid, I know about onions, chocolate, but just assumed salmon was ok, and I feel awful about it. He was also panting a lot which he's never done before, and breathing so quickly.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 01:30:31 PM »
Salmon is usually perfectly ok for dogs - in fact it's an ingredient in some complete dog foods these days. Puppies do breathe faster than adult dogs, particularly if they are tired - perhaps Indie was just over tired?                    
Jane

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 01:35:20 PM »
Tiredness could be it, it's just it went on for so long!

From about 7pm till 11pm - I gave him a huge bowl of water with ise in, his favourite, and he dranks a lot of that so it wasn't dehydration. Maybe just one of those things!

thanks Jane.                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 03:18:17 PM »
I don't wanna scare you or anything, I am sure this is not the case with you, but:
One of my lot is very allergic to salmon. She nearly died once she ate some. Her tongue, lips and whole head got really swollen and she was having really hard time breathing  :shock: . I have never driven that fast to anywhere, that I drove to the vets that day. It goes without saying that she won't be given any salmon ever again :( .                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 01:04:10 PM »
Thanks Katina.

How terrifying for you! There was no swelling, with my boy, but his breathing was awful, he gave me a right scare. I'm avoiding it in future.

Shona                    

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 04:14:04 PM »
I read an article once which suggested that due to the high levels of protein in raw salmon an asthma type reaction can occur.
Feeds containing salmon aren't as likely to cause any reaction as the protein levels are much less concentrated and are derived from other sources in the feed also (ie not just the salmon content.)

One other more worrying article I recall said that some liver conditions cause allergy like symptoms when very high protein feeds are ingested (such as some raw fish and meat) but I'm sure that the heavy breathing thing was only a small part of the symptoms and was usually accompanied by other more serious things which would have you rushing up the vets in a flash.

Could always ask your vet if he's come across this very high protein problem before.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 07:12:44 PM »
I read an article once which suggested that due to the high levels of protein in raw salmon an asthma type reaction can occur.
Feeds containing salmon aren't as likely to cause any reaction as the protein levels are much less concentrated and are derived from other sources in the feed also (ie not just the salmon content.)

One other more worrying article I recall said that some liver conditions cause allergy like symptoms when very high protein feeds are ingested (such as some raw fish and meat) but I'm sure that the heavy breathing thing was only a small part of the symptoms and was usually accompanied by other more serious things which would have you rushing up the vets in a flash.

Could always ask your vet if he's come across this very high protein problem before.

I will mention to the vet next time. The salmon I fed was actually poached, so not raw, I've heard that raw salmon is not great, but cooked should be ok.
Thanks.