Author Topic: Sore bum  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Sore bum
« on: March 09, 2004, 01:46:45 PM »
Tilly recently had her anal glands evacuated at the vets following some "scooting" activity.  She has had this done once before, when a small puppy, with no problems, but this time she squealed like crazy and cried and seemed to be in a lot of pain.  I know she is a bit of a wuss, and the vet said that her anal glands were very deeply sited (Tilly's, not the vet's!!) but I was quite upset by the incident and the apparent pain that was caused. Tilly has suffered no after effects, and even gave the vet a nice lick of forgiveness afterwards, but I dread having to take her in for this again.  

Is it normal for this procedure to hurt so much?  Has anyone else's dog reacted in a similar way?  BTW Tills is 10 months old now.

Sue                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Sore bum
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 05:27:31 PM »
Jimmy didn't take too kindly to this invasion of privacy either, although  he was more like this..... :shock: ....... than squealing. He's having it done again tomorrow, I think I'll be averting my eyes again out of sympathy. Poor Tilly. :(                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Sore bum
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 08:26:18 AM »
Phoebe has had her's done a few times now but she didn't squeal. However, she doesn't enjoy it either :shock: . Just the site of those rubber gloves and she hangs her head :cry: !                    
Anita

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Sore bum
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 10:40:12 AM »
Thanks Colin and Anita for your kind responses.  

I wish I could believe that Tilly's response was due to offended dignity, but she seemed in real pain.  Although the vet was very nice, I am worried that she may have been overly brutal to Tilly and this makes me feel bad for taking her.  No damage seems to have been done, though - I have been watching her rear end vigilantly ever since (people are beginning to talk!)

However, I do recall that when Tilly was only a tiny puppy she managed to convince both myself and the vet (a different one) that she had broken a bone in her leg.  We were just about to go down the x-ray route when she switched into a spring lamb impersonation, skipping about without a care in the world.  Maybe her recent performance was inspired by the Oscars - I hope so anyway!  I would prefer to think of her as a Drama Queen, than in pain and as this doesn't seem to be a common experience for other cockers, I suspect the former is closer to the truth.  Little monkey!

Sue                    

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Sore bum
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 11:01:31 AM »
Sorry, forgot to say good luck to Jimmy for his experience today.  Hope it's not too eye-popping.                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Sore bum
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 03:08:27 PM »
Thanks Sue, he coped manfully with 2 injections with not so much as a peep out of him, but then went into shock as soon as he saw the vet flexing the rubber gloves. He squealed like a girl and had to be muzzled ! :lol: Unfortunatley he has a slight infection down there so has to go back again next week to be violated yet again.

Misty had hers emptied too and also squealed. I'm not sure she was in too much pain though, like Tilly she can put it on for sympathy but soon changes her mood at the sign of a treat. When playing with big dogs in the park she sometimes throws herself down yelping and limping when she hasn't even been touched, once the other dog's guard is down she makes a miraculous recovery then pounces on it's head. Girls are crafty and manipulative. :lol:                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Sore bum
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 03:17:55 PM »

When playing with big dogs in the park she sometimes throws herself down yelping and limping when she hasn't even been touched, once the other dog's guard is down she makes a miraculous recovery then pounces on it's head. Girls are crafty and manipulative. :lol:

Colin,

It is not just girls :D This is Billy's favourite trick when playing with a bigger dog, as it usually results in the other dog getting told off and Billy getting a treat of the guilty feeling owner :lol:

Michelle                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
Sore bum
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 07:45:40 PM »
Way to go, Billy ! :D Nice to know it's not just the girls that can be on the sneaky side to get what they are after. :lol: I'm not sure Jimmy has the capacity to think ahead, he lives only in the present. :roll:                    

Offline PennyB

Sore bum
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 11:26:55 PM »
Ruby used to do that when she was a puppy, as soon as a huge dog came galloping over she'd throw herself on the ground long before they got there and she'd scream like a banshee. It got quite embarrassing as all these owners would come rushing across the park apologising like mad thinking their dog was murdering this little pup!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!