Author Topic: Purdey may have Kennel Cough! UPDATE Latest....not good!  (Read 10944 times)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Purdey may have Kennel Cough! UPDATE Latest....not good!
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:28:48 PM »
Poor Purdey has probably got kennel cough  :'( .
She was coughing now & again earlier today but when I got back from work, tonight, it is definitely worse.
Phoned the emergency vet service, who said it sounds like kennel cough (Purds conveniently coughed while I was on the phone!) but no need to rush her to them tonight. Just take her to my vets tomorrow (but to leave her in the car  :'( as sooooooo contagious!)
Don't know where she picked that up from....but hay ho.......have to wait now to see if the other 2 & kitty cat get it  :shades:
Vet did say she could have baby benylin if the cough was troublesome...........would be grateful for any advice in ref. to that......has anyone else given their doglet cough medicine & is their anything else I can do/give to help her

UPDATE : Took Purdey to the vets earlier and although all her symptoms are typical of kennel cough, it's not. Thankfully we saw an 'on-the-ball' vet who discovered her lungs are full of fluid (hense the caughing) & has exteme concerns about her heart. We have to go back tomorrow for possible admission & x-rays.....doG I never saw that coming.  To say I am shocked & sick with worry would be an understatement but am trying to stay possitive and optimistic until we know for sure. She had 3 injections which will, hopefully make her more comfortable & is on Furosomide but being told not to leave her & to have the emergency vets number to hand doesn't leave me feeling very reassured. Please send Purdey positive thoughts for a good diagnosis tomorrow and a speedy recovery from what ever it turns out to be. Lindsey  (she's laying beside me at the mo. & just tried to catch a fly.....took that as a good sign  :luv:  )

Latest update  :  Returned to vets With Purdey this A.M. - vet thinks she has pneumonia + ? & admitted for x-rays.....result is enlarged heart with probable heart disease/failure (& poss pneumonia)  :'( :'( :'( .....she's only 5 ????? Refered to cardiologist asap (hear we have an excellent team at cedars in Ringwood so may request them!) Struggling to cope  with this right now (sorry to all those struggling too  :luv:....don't mean to be selfish) but good to be able to talk to those who genuinely understand  :-* . Purdeys home now but very sleepy due to sedation for x-rays....am sleeping on the sofa with her as she's on 'strict rest' & not allowed upstairs.....thankyou for being here  :-* Lindsey & Purdey too!! xx
(did try & update earlier but don't know where it went/what happened.......sorry if it ends up somwhere really odd  ph34r )
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Purdey may have Kennel Cough!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 11:34:33 PM »
Poor Purdey, I hope she's not in too much discomfort :'( :luv: I've read on here that a lot of people give their dogs Manuka honey to soothe their throats :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
Re: Purdey may have Kennel Cough!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:19:52 AM »
as JennyBee says some folk on here (me included) use Manuka honey for KC. I was going to use benylin till i was told it was full of sugar! Just stuck with the honey which seemed to help Bailey a bit. HTH  :D

Offline Rachsparkles

Re: Purdey may have Kennel Cough! UPDATE REALLY BAD NEWS!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »
Rrrrrr, poor Purdey.  Sending lots of positive thoughts and hope all goes well tomorrow xxx

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »
Soory to hear Purdey is under the weather, hear are some kisses and positive thoughts from Lilly and me!!!  :-*  :-*

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »
Hope she's feeling better soon and that tomorrow brings good news.

Lots of cocker hugs and snuggles from us all.   :luv:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »
On no - poor Purdey  :'(

Sending her lots of positive thoughts  :-*  :-*

And a big hug for you as well, it is so horrible when our cocker babies are poorly x x

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:59:41 PM »
Just seen your update, what a shock for you when you thought it was a simple cough. I hope the x-rays show that it is not as serious as they think. Sending hugs and healing thoughts. :-*
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline BabyB

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 04:59:47 PM »
Morgan had a cough that was because of fluid - can't think for the life of me what tablets he was put on by the vet, but it seems to have done the trick.  When x-rayed he also has a slightly enlarged heart but nothing to worry about - Morgan will be 11ys on 10th August.

Postive thoughts from here  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »
Hope she is feeling better soon {{{hugs and squidges}} from Fred and I --manuka honey is great-gave fred this when he had kennel cough and he loved it!!
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »
Oh poor Purdey - and what a shock for you. Hope you both get some rest tonight and that the meds make her more comfy xx

Offline cerinrich

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »
What a shock. Poor Purdey and poor you. Hope the meds make a difference

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »
Poor girl,  :'( I hope she is feeling better soon and that the vets can give you some positive news tomorrow.  Big hugs to you both.  :-* :luv:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 05:24:20 PM »
Hope you get some positive news soon. Big hugz from us.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »
Hope Purdey is feeling better today and it is good news.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)