Author Topic: Looking at Andis two speed clippers but what blades do i need.  (Read 2075 times)

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
Hi, I'm looking at getting some Andis Two speed clippers but wondered what blades I would need to get too. I would be using them on Tilly's head (because she was clipped twice it grows back thick and very curly) and her chest (to her chest bone area). Any advice would be very welcomed.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Looking at Andis two speed clippers but what blades do i need.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
I use a no.10 inside the ears and under chin to breastbone. I trim their heads and top third of  ears using thinning scissors, but many people use a no. 10 for the head and ears. I strip the rest, but as a groomer I used to clip cocker bodies using a no. 7.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »
Thanks for that. She been to 3 groomers so far and everyone has messed her air up and I have had to fix it. I'm getting to the point where I have watched video's online and am going to give it ago. I have done her tail today (good results) and have sorted out her bottom too (no devil horns sticking out anymore). Not sure about how to do her legs yet.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
Good on you - grooming your own dog is very rewarding. Just remembered - andis clippers come with a no.10 blade (or they used to), so you may not have to buy a separate one.

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:19:36 PM »
Thanks, I keep watching the vid's and need to pluck up some more courage to have a go. Worried i'll muck up.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
Having an end result in mind helps. And my breeder gave me fab advice :"don't panic, it's only hair and it'll grow back!"

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »
I use a no 10 as above on the head, top third of ears, face and throat on pet dogs, but these are the ones I also clip the bodies on a number 7 also. If you are stripping the body still, but are unable to do so on the head I would use thinning scissors there to take it down more gradually and naturally, so it blends with the rest of the groom better. You can then take as much or as little as you want to.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:32:37 PM »
I use a not 10 as above on the head, top third of ears face and throat on pet dogs, but these are the ones I also clip the bodies on a number 7 also. If you are stripping the body still, but are unable to do so on the head I would use thinning scissors there to take it down more gradually and naturally, so it blends with the rest if the groom better. You can then take as much or as little as you want to.  :D
How do you use the thinning scissors on the head, I have used them on the top part of her ear and bottom, but I am a little un sure of how to hold them correctly (also scared of cutting her skin).

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »
I use a not 10 as above on the head, top third of ears face and throat on pet dogs, but these are the ones I also clip the bodies on a number 7 also. If you are stripping the body still, but are unable to do so on the head I would use thinning scissors there to take it down more gradually and naturally, so it blends with the rest if the groom better. You can then take as much or as little as you want to.  :D
How do you use the thinning scissors on the head, I have used them on the top part of her ear and bottom, but I am a little un sure of how to hold them correctly (also scared of cutting her skin).

Go in the direction of the coat. I know this can be difficult if curly. If so maybe just go from stop to occiput. Basically meaning from front to back of the scull. Just pull the coat away from the head a bit with a comb or fingers, so you know where the scull is & snip a tiny bit at a time and brush each time before you snip again. Take it very slowly at first and the more confident you get the easier it will become. Once you cut the coat it may prevent it from being strippable though, but from the sounds of what you have said it is there anyway. I just think this will take it down more naturally than clipping if you are still stripping all the rest. I hope that helps.  :D

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
Yes, thank you. She still gets stripped on her back, but her head is a no go area for stripping now. :'(....will have ago with the thinning scissors once it grows a bit more.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 10:07:47 PM »
Yes, thank you. She still gets stripped on her back, but her head is a no go area for stripping now. :'(....will have ago with the thinning scissors once it grows a bit more.

Aww such a shame, but the thinners will take it down more naturally. Just lift the hair away from the scull and take it slowly. You will speed up as you get the hang and your confidence grows. Will make it easier to blend into the ears too. Good luck.  :D

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
Thanks, I keep watching the vid's and need to pluck up some more courage to have a go. Worried i'll muck up.

If the groomers have messed up, you'll be better doing her yourself anyway :)

The first few attempts may not look great, but you'll get there, I promise :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
How do I trim the front of her legs so it leaves feathers at the back. Is there any website or videos that show how to groom well?? I have looked on line but they all vary. I only really want to clip her ears underneath and under her chin down to breastbone if I can.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
How do I trim the front of her legs so it leaves feathers at the back. Is there any website or videos that show how to groom well?? I have looked on line but they all vary. I only really want to clip her ears underneath and under her chin down to breastbone if I can.

Just leave them be, it'll grow that way naturally :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »
thanks  :blink: