Author Topic: puppy grooming  (Read 585 times)

Offline emmatab

puppy grooming
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
Marley is now almost 8 months.  He's not been to a groomer yet but I am nervous about ruining his lovely coat.   What do I ask for?  And is his coat 'proper' as in full length now?   As its not really long but quite thick on legs etc..  Any advice?  Obviously I brush him but is there anything else I can do at home? 

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: puppy grooming
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
I've just looked at the photo you posted of him quite recently and he definitely has hairy legs, but quite a smooth head, and quite silky looking, so you might find he naturally has a silky and quite fine coat, which will be easier to look after than a thick and woolly one. What does the coat on his body look like?

At 8 months he still has his puppy coat but his adult coat might be coming through. If it is you'll find a lot of coat coming out when you brush him.

Do you know what you want him look like? Lots of groomers sadly assume that every Cocker owner wants their dog clipped short all over, so probably the best thing for you is to look at some pictures and decide the look that you want and that's going to be practical for you and your family. Then find yourself a groomer, visit before the appointment and take the picture with you and discuss options.

If he still has lots of puppy coat that isn't ready to come out you might get away with him just having a bath and having his paws trimmed for the time being.

Offline emmatab

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:22:06 PM »
Thankyou for that, yes I think he has part puppy part adult coat at the moment.  Most people comment on how lovely his coat and colouring is when we are out funnily enough but I don't want him getting too hot in the summer (if we get one) and he loves to roll in horrid stuff on walks which necessitates frequent baths so thinking it would dry quicker if sorted out  a bit.   his body does have short hair all over still so I guess just sorting out the fluffy legs mostly !   

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
Hi, I went through everything with my groomer before she touched her, thankfully she asked a lot of the questions(as they should do).

I said I wanted a cut that would show off her coat , with feathering and that she would be spayed so clipping would be OK.

She looked fantastic, we had a couple of tweaks on the next two visits IE how long her top knott but now it's easy.

It helps that I trust her and Bea likes her too. :D