Author Topic: Alfie's not himself....update barking after 4 days silence!  (Read 921 times)

Offline siam

• Site Member
Alfie's not himself....update barking after 4 days silence!
« on: September 09, 2011, 07:44:24 AM »
Yeaterday tea time I didn't get my usual cocker spaniel Alfie welcome-he was out in the back garden and I thought he hadn't come to the gate as he maybe wasn't wise to my new car's (1 day old) engine. He lay on the door mat at the back door or outside while I made tea, but he likes the cool in the doorway sometimes. I was out in the evening and my OH reported nothing untoward and he's often quiet by bedtime. This morning he's distinctly not his usual bubbly self and one front paw is very wet where he's been licking at it a lot. He's so hairy just now (trim due Thurs) that it's very hard to find the paw, let alone anything amiss. He wasn't pulling it away when I tried to look, but is a very complient boy. He seems obsessed with the gravel in the corner under our arbour but I can't see what's keeping him there.He's been sitting upright on the grass (in the rain) with that pleading look in his eyes and worryingly is NOT barking at the cat next door which he normally does incessantly until he gets called in for a 'good boy' treat. He's eaten his breakfast, though not with his usual enthusiasm, and stopped to lick at the paw midway. I can't help but think it's to do with his paw, and think there's maybe something quite nasty there to make him behave so below par. He's walking normally on it, apart from stopping to lick it, claws feel OK and no signs of blood. Any ideas?

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Alfie's not himself
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »
Could he have a grass seed stuck in his paw somewhere?

Millie

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:57 AM »
I wondered about a grass seed as I've noticed on COL's they can cause a lot of bother, but thought it  less likely as he seems to be walking on it OK. Have just been reading the thread re possible wasp sting and wondered if Alfie has come across a sleepy wasp and that's what was going on under the arbour. He's fascinated by anything that buzzes or moves near him. However I wouldn't have thought it would have made him so flat.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 10:43:28 AM »
I would suspect an infection if he is flat, that's why I thought grass seed  :-\. Have you pulled the toes apart to look between them? That's where they tend to wedge in with Millie. Also they will chew at feet if there is something bothering them that they can't get to such as anal glands.

Millie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »
Do his toes feel ok? Dallas had a suspected grass seed in his paw a couple of months ago - he was licking his foot constantly but walking on it fine. His toe was really swollen and then became infected. Is there a smell coming from his foot at all? Do you have straight edge scissors that you can use to trim the hair back on his pads and between his toes to get a better look?
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
Do his toes feel ok? Dallas had a suspected grass seed in his paw a couple of months ago - he was licking his foot constantly but walking on it fine. His toe was really swollen and then became infected. Is there a smell coming from his foot at all? Do you have straight edge scissors that you can use to trim the hair back on his pads and between his toes to get a better look?

Thanks for your reply. I can't feel any obvious swelling on it amongst all the hair but I phoned the vet's for advice before work as he was looking so miserable and am taking him down at 3.30 today. Am home for lunch with him just now and would say he's slightly less flat than earlier, but still at the paw a lot. When I let him outside he goes and sits under the arbour and I have to carry him in as he won't budge himself. Hopefully the vet will get to the bottom of it. I've left off cutting the hair since it would be harder to do on my own and they'll probably snip it at the vet's if needed.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:41:01 PM »
Poor chap - let us know how he gets on  :luv:

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
Just back from the vet's. Alfie has a nasty infection between 2 lots of toes which are swollen and red & green in colour with a red graze type line on his pad so it's no wonder he's feeling poorly. The vet doesn't know what's triggered it, could have been a sting, grass seed or small cut but because of his very hairy paw it would be hard to source. I was surprised it could have come on so suddenly and thought maybe it had been working away on him over a few days, but she said it's not uncommon for infections to flare up in this way. He's on antibitotics and I've got cream to apply and we might have to resort to a sock or get a collar if he won't leave it alone. Any suggestions for keeping socks in place?

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
Poor Alfie, hope he is feeling better soon :luv:
No suggestions I'm afraid, for keeping the sock on, other than tape of some sort :-\

Offline siam

• Site Member
Re: Alfie's not himself....update- barking after 4 days silence!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
For the first time in 4 days Alfie seems to be feeling significantly better as confirmed by his first bark in 4 days. I never thought I'd say I'd miss him barking but the place has been strangely quiet without his little chats and requests for things. Not back to full throttle yet so will enjoy a quieter phased in return of the woofs! I put a sock on his paw to keep him from licking at it, as advised by the vet and thought he'd be intent on removing it, but surprisingly I've had to remove it each time we've ventured out.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Alfie's not himself....update barking after 4 days silence!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »
Glad he's feeling better  :luv:

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
Pleased he is feeling better :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline maddy74

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
Glad he is on the mend  ;)

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »
Ah i'm pleased Alfie is getting sorted ..

I really don't like it when they are not quiet right, we know them so well that the slightest change we notice and miss ..

:luv:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown