Author Topic: Dummies  (Read 3999 times)

Offline seaangler

Re: Dummies
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 02:16:58 PM »
I would like to point out not all gun dogs will make the grade..As i have has some very bad new as to are gemma today....

I have not long come back from Gun dog training with are Gemma....And the trainers point of view with are Gemmas training this morning is she will NOT make a gundog..
So i have now pulled her out...
She has not got what it takes..She has no drive in her....The trainer this morning use every thing possible this morning to get any sort of drive out of her  (its just play play play with her...he said in all honestly she will not work and you will be wasting your money and my time.....

So i have now some very over scented dummies for sell....We use a whole bottle on one of the dummies to get Gemma to retrieve....

This is why i am Quoting..Praia part of her post and in brackets is almost to the word as to Praia is saying that my trainer as said to day....She will make a good show dog and pet nothing else...Also my trainer said a lot as to What praia has also sain in her post....regarding Gemmas  behavior and attitude...

Quote.I'm not averse to using clicker training or rewarding a dog with food if the dog isn't a natural retriever. I've never used food in training for retrieves, because both of my spaniels are natural retrievers with great drive.  I suppose if a dog is ((lacking natural drive)), one has to find what works for that particular dog.  If I had to train a dog that wasn't keen on retrieving I would back chain using a clicker and food, though personally, I'd rather not spend all that time training a dog to do something that it doesn't naturally enjoy doing.  Perhaps the reason why most gun dog trainers don't use food in their training is because the dogs they train have so much drive that the retrieve is reward enough in itself?  At least for me, this was the case for my own spaniels.  I also use flirt poles to build prey drive and play tug with both spaniels, but that's beside the point

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
Thanks Steve, the guys I walk with sometimes all work their dogs (and train). It was their idea to give him a go.

This 2 day workshop is only aimed at pet dogs and, not just gundogs so I don't anticipate they are going to expect to find miracles!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »
No problems the offer is there if you decide you would like to have a go.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
No problems the offer is there if you decide you would like to have a go.

TY Lets see how long the walk of shame is first  ph34r

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
Some of my dogs are probably never going to make the grade as gundogs (not the cockers, the other breeds) but that doesn't stop me training htem to do the job and they do love it and so do I?

I wouldn't put anyone off having a go even if folks think the dog doesn't have the drive for it. It is great fun, excellent training for the dog (steadiness, retrieving, self-control and so on). I doubt my dogs (even the cockers) will get to work on a shoot, but that doesn't stop me having fun with them and letting them use their instincts.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »

TY Lets see how long the walk of shame is first  ph34r
[/quote]
Been on many of them  :lol2: reward for owning a Cocker

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »
Don't forget Gemma is a fieldy Chris, totally different kettle of fish to a cocker, I have had to work real hard with Wallace but he will never be like a cocker. It also took him a while for his instincts to kick in so maybe not all is lost.
Gemma is out of Shula's dog, he is worked, maybe speak to her before you give up. ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline praia

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 04:14:37 AM »
I would like to point out not all gun dogs will make the grade..As i have has some very bad new as to are gemma today....

I have not long come back from Gun dog training with are Gemma....And the trainers point of view with are Gemmas training this morning is she will NOT make a gundog..
So i have now pulled her out...
She has not got what it takes..She has no drive in her....The trainer this morning use every thing possible this morning to get any sort of drive out of her  (its just play play play with her...he said in all honestly she will not work and you will be wasting your money and my time.....

Is the gun dog trainer even familiar with Field Spaniels?  They are very slow at maturing physically and mentally. Like Top Barks says, Field Spaniels are very different from Cockers and are meant to have a very different working style and temperament.  Perhaps the trainer is unfamiliar with Field Spaniels and is mistaking a lack of drive for lack of maturity?

As for her being all play, play, play... How a dog plays is a reflection of the genetic drives within that dog.  If the dog is at least playing like a gun dog, as in carrying things or even sloppy retrieves, then that is proof enough that she has some sort of drive in her.  Being that she is out of Shula's stock I'm sure of it.  It's the job of a good trainer to take that play that a dog naturally offers and shape and manipulate it to serve purpose; to take that drive that is written in a dog's genetic code and build upon it.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 09:08:47 AM »
Jaspers mum...have alook on this Webb site for your dummies... http://www.hilost.co.uk/gundog-clubs-directory.html

Mark...You have more time than me to work your dogs...I  do not have the time...My sister has been cleaning the horse out most days...its also my job as well...

I also go out beating its all getting just to much...I am not getting any younger...

I also do part time work at the farm as well...And when i Finnish i am just dead beat...to do any thing :huh:

....I work two twelve hour days then onto two twelve hours nights....

I also look after a Corfu forum..And just spend to much time on the computer and time just flys by before you know it...the day is gone and i have work to do...

I will just consentrate on a bit of training for some show work...With gemma...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
As long as you both enjoy what you do, really that's what matters Chris. ;) I remember some folks who were admiring Wallace asked me at Darlington champ show if he would be any good to work, well on my experience to that point I said nooooo, go for a cocker, but now at thirteen months,I've changed my mind he seems really to have taken to it. He hunts well, has a great nose and will retrieve, stop to the whistle and take directional cues as well as all my cocker boys, but with him it did take a while to surface. I did tear my hair out on many occasions. I really thought he would never have the natural drive of my cockers. He is as i said earlier different and I'm not saying he would make a world beating working dog but he certainly would make someone a competent shooting companion.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk