Author Topic: 7.5month pup very clingy?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
7.5month pup very clingy?
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
She is currently dozing curled up on my lap - normally she takes herself off to her bed.

The kids went back to school last monday but I think it started a bit before then, though with Christmas everything was out of our normal routine anyway so who knows!

She is happy to go for walks etc and is eating/pooing normally. Let her off lead in the woods and she raced around as normal at first before slowing down and keeping closer as the excitement wore off.

Not been to obedience classes for a while but these start again tomorrow. Our daughter has been trying to teach her a few new tricks though to stop her being bored.

Do pups often go through a clingy phase like children? Or is it likely the lack of routine over Christmas is the cause?

She is also barking more and seems to be trying to tell us stuff (she comes up to where I am working looks straight at me and then woofs!) - but unfortunately I don't speak dog  ;) so other than checking she has water, and seeing if she wants to go out for toilet or to her bed (sometimes the door to where her bed is is closed) I'm not sure what else to check?

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: 7.5month pup very clingy?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
Odie has just turned 2 and he still sticks to me like glue :lol2:  I can't leave the room without my little golden "shadow" trailing after me  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »
Has she had her first season?
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
No she hasn't had a season yet - could this be the cause? If so how do I tell for definite as we are planning to have her spayed and this needs to be 3.5 months after. No bleeding or anything obvious.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
You will tell when shes in season. Constantly cleaning up blobs of blood  :005:

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »

Lovely :-\ At least she is used to only being allowed in the kitchen/porch - both of which have moppable slate floors. Though how I explain to the kids that she is not hurt I'm not sure?

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:24:17 PM »
I'd say maybe season too.

Maisie does this every time. She's very sleepy and cuddly for a few days before any signs of bleeding. With Maisie, the swollen vulva etc arrives very quickly, in a matter of 24/48 hours rather than over a week or so and therefore we know we need to be alert now. The sleepy, cuddly thing is now the sign we look for first.

If this is what it is, I'd just make the most of the extra cuddles :luv:. You also might be lucky with the bleeding. They don't all make as much mess. With our last little girl you would barely know she was in season. I'd suggest you get a tissue and wipe gently a few times over the next few days. If she's coming into season you may find a slight trace of blood this way before you even notice her licking or see it on the floor etc.

Offline Dimples

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 02:34:27 PM »
Robbie is 1 year old and still doesnt leave my side. I go he goes. I have tried sneaking out the room - but no - he will hear me and follow. If i go upstairs he will follow. If i am rushing around going to and from rooms quickly or upstairs and downstairs - he will place himself in a certain place where he can see me at all angles. If i am too long in one room etc he will then follow.

I think they are like children - they want their mummy. They like to be with you.  Even in the toilet  :005:

I cant imagine him being any different and to be fair i like it. :luv:
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »
You will often see people on here describing their cockers as "velcro dogs" - there is a reason for that  :005:

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
Yep, two boys here both Velcro dogs. One is on my lap now  :luv:

I can't do anything in peace and have no privacy in the bath or toilet, if I shut the door they scratch at it relentlessly.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »

Not necessarily, when Amber had her first season she kept herself very clean. It was obvious by her behaviour and her swollen vulva that she was in season, but there was only the odd bit of blood.

She was very clingy beforehand, enjoy those cocker cuddles!  :luv:

The coming up to you and barking while you're working is probably her trying to get you to come and play! Amber occasionally does it when I'm doing the washing up!  ;)
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline montsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:14 PM »
Milo is 7 months and has changed from a Cockerdile to a lap puppy! He just loves being fussed on my knee and is very affectionate! He does the scratching at the loo door  as well and howling when he's alone in the kitchen and we are elsewhere in the house!

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »
She's always been a bit of a lap puppy :luv: just even more so now!

No other signs of coming in to season as far as I can tell.

She spent most of the obedience class last night sitting under my chair with just her head poking out, other than when we were on the floor doing an exercise. Recall was fab - stay less so as she followed me every time I tried to take a step backwards away from her. ;)