Author Topic: Cockers and Water  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Re: Cockers and Water
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 09:23:13 PM »
 :005:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 09:55:47 PM »
Jasper (orange roan) doesn't like to go in too deep, def not out of depth but Louie (blue roan) was going in no matter how deep although he did frighten himself a little when he had to swim, getting back to it now though.  Same results with mud wallowing, Jasper no, Louie Oh YES YES YES.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »

HOWEVER, we bought him a paddling pool for the garden last summer & he wouldnt go in it - whats that about??!!

:lol: :luv: :lol:

It was probably clean... hike a load of muck into it and I bet he climbs right in  ;) :lol:

Ha ha - you're probably right - he went for a swim in the local pond on Sunday when out with hubby - came back STINKING - had to have a shower!! He knows the score - he jumps into the shower cubicle & just sits there waiting to be hosed down - bless!!  :luv:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 10:05:10 PM »
Ben is golden and loves water!  He got a shock once when he jumped into a river and was out of depth instantly - he sank and then came up looking confused so I (while trying not to panic) helped him out  :o  He's used to wading in and then swimming in the sea but the river didn't give that option.  He then did it again - and again - and ...................... hasn't stopped since  :lol:

The only water Ben doesn't like is luke warm bath water!  He cries and gives me the puppy eyes as it is pure 'cruelty' to use clean warm water and shampoo  ::)

Offline Macy and Tia

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 10:15:40 PM »
Macy is a black cocker and she doesn't like the water much! Although she is getting better! We have a stream in our back garden and she'll walk in it! But as soon as theres a deep part she backs right off!
She absolutly loves it when i bath her though! She's a strange dog!!
Macy and Tia xx

Offline Billybang

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 10:36:54 PM »
I have 3 black cockers and a gold and have to say the blacks are in the water quick as a flash right out into the depths, the gold is definitely not quite as keen and would prefer just to paddle, but due to the others will also swim and join in, so perhaps it is a gold thing who knows, but if you take her with other dogs who love to swim she will probably also join in too.  I think all dogs are a little wary if their feet suddenly don't touch the ground, is she still quite young?  If so that may be the main issue, just needing a little more practise.

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 11:30:04 PM »
mine love water when pepper was a pup she jumped into the bath... but my daughter was already in it.!! now the door gets shut firmly! :005:

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 01:12:12 AM »
Our last cocker who was a tri-colour (blue roan and tan) didnt like the water at all until my step-dad helped her get her confidence up, even then it was a long road ... in the end she'd only swim in a particular lake that they'd take her to.

My cocker I have now is a gold roan, and when I first got her, she didnt know what water was except for drinking out of a bowl. But with plenty of encouragement, and some fun water toys including a floating raft for her to sit on to begin with she began to enjoy it. Then the following summer, she was diving under the water of her own accord to find rocks, drift wood, sticks etc.

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 07:32:28 AM »
Betsy loves water too but wont go out of her depth.  As soon as we get to the beach she runs to the sea and lays down in it, but if a large wave comes she is out in a flash.  Once when i was swimming she swam out to me, said hello and then swam straight back to the shore.  :luv: That is the only time she has actually swam though.