Author Topic: Christmas dinner for dogs?  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Christmas dinner for dogs?
« on: December 06, 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
Is anyone here cocker crazy enough to cook their dog a meal on Christmas? I really want to prepare a proper doggie christmas dinner, but I know my family will judge me  :005: Laurië always gets an extra snack and a taste of whatever we're having, so she'll be happy either way. But I think it would be so satisfying to make a little turkey dinner with all the sides being dog friendly. Especially since we do smoked and salted ribs of lamb for christmas (traditional Norwegian dish), which is clearly not dog friendly food at all. I thought maybe a chicken filet with some mashed carrots and swedes and some fruit based "stuffing". Please tell me someone does this so I don't have to feel like a crazy person  :lol2:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Christmas dinner for dogs?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »
Is anyone here cocker crazy enough to cook their dog a meal on Christmas? I really want to prepare a proper doggie christmas dinner, but I know my family will judge me  :005: Laurië always gets an extra snack and a taste of whatever we're having, so she'll be happy either way. But I think it would be so satisfying to make a little turkey dinner with all the sides being dog friendly. Especially since we do smoked and salted ribs of lamb for christmas (traditional Norwegian dish), which is clearly not dog friendly food at all. I thought maybe a chicken filet with some mashed carrots and swedes and some fruit based "stuffing". Please tell me someone does this so I don't have to feel like a crazy person  :lol2:

I don't cook for my dogs at any time unless they are ill - but I do buy them Christmas Dinner from Forthglade, (Turkey, Parsnip and Cranberry) and also buy them their Christmas Treats (Turkey & Cranberry) unlike a lot of the dinners and treats from other firms they are not overly more expensive with loads of packaging. What you are doing sounds lovely and I'm sure Laurie will appreciate her special dinner cooked wiv luv  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:17:00 AM »
I don't cook a special dinner but do give them a little bit of everything from the savoury part of our dinner. I'm always a bit worried about upseting their stomach to give too much!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »
I don't cook a special dinner for Marley mainly because some foods give him tummy trouble. I will give him some fish and or maybe a bone I know they don't trouble him. If he could eat anything maybe I would.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 05:05:52 PM »
My two have Forthglade Turkey dinners as their main food, that's why I give the Christmas meals as they are not that much different from the norm  :D Agree we don't want dicky tums - especially at Christmas.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 05:06:42 PM »
When I was a child, my Nan used to pluck, clean and dress the turkey herself. The giblets and „innerds“ were boiled up to make the stock for the gravy and then our dog (cocker, what else? . :lol2:) got them for his Christmas dinner!.... If I manage to get an oven ready turkey with all the bits included then Humph‘s benefits from the family tradition but sometimes he has to make do with a bit of turkey breast... poor little soul!  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
When I was a child, my Nan used to pluck, clean and dress the turkey herself. The giblets and „innerds“ were boiled up to make the stock for the gravy and then our dog (cocker, what else? . :lol2:) got them for his Christmas dinner!.... If I manage to get an oven ready turkey with all the bits included then Humph‘s benefits from the family tradition but sometimes he has to make do with a bit of turkey breast... poor little soul!  :005:

Ah poor Humph, lol. I can remember my mum doing much the same (minus the dog  :huh:) she too used to boil up the bits and bobs, 'fraid her daughter is more cranky haddock than Fanny Craddock tho and doesn't so such good deeds.

Offline Elisha9

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »
I’ve always done my dogs up a Christmas lunch to be fair. Meat, potatoes and veg, no gravy! Poppy will be getting her first proper one this year! Last year just had some meat. But now she’s 1 she’ll have a mini meal [emoji23] No chicken as she gets upset tummy though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 02:36:50 PM »
I think Laurie will love a chicken fillet and veggie smash....and as for me I would love the vision of her eating it....just love your little films of her :luv:  She is a star in our house with both hubby and Mother in law viewing the waking princess recently :luv:

Santa has been here a little early and Ollie's presents are wrapped and hidden away from sniffing cocker noses :005:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed