Author Topic: Walking on the lead!  (Read 2012 times)

Offline isla

• Site Member
Walking on the lead!
« on: October 30, 2018, 08:29:34 AM »
Hi!
We have a nearly 13 week old puppy who is refusing at times to walk on the lead.

He is used to the collar and harness and will walk in the woods on a long line really well. Taking him out for short walks is more of an issue. He walks like a dream on the way back to the house but leaving is another issue. He pulls back and whimpers. Tried gentle cajoling and rewards but there is not much improvement! A 15 min walk is now taking nearly an hour and I?m getting up ridiculously early to fit it all in in the mornings!

Does anyone have any advice?  Thanks

Offline Barry H

Re: Walking on the lead!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
He's just a baby and still unsure of himself in the big, wide, scary world.  I'd be inclined to go easy on him a bit.  Patience, as always, is the secret.  Perhaps, while he's still little, you could carry him for the first 50 yards or so.  It'll take some time for him to get his confidence.  Work with him, not against (as I'm sure you are) and before you know it he'll be dragging you out of the door and up the road so fast you'll be back asking for advice about him pulling like a train...

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »
I agree with Barry.  Also, do you feed before or after a walk? I prefer feeding afterwards as I find after eating, they usually just want to crash out for a bit whereas if they know they?re going to be fed on return, they tend to be a bit more cooperative!

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »
I remember watching a puppy programme where a retriever puppy was refusing to walk and the lady was trying to collect her children from school!
The trainer told her to just stand still and wait for the puppy to move by itself without any  luring. Then as soon as it did,  reward with a titbit, repeat.
He's very young yet, but calmness is the key. Good luck!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline isla

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
Thanks. Never had a spaniel who didn?t love walks so he a wee anomaly! We?ll get there!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
It sounds like he is a little nervous , he doesn't know where he is going or that it can be as much fun as his safe cosy home  :luv:

Some good advise already but as Barry has said, it won't be long before he's dragging you along ( like a train )  :005: