Author Topic: wrong command  (Read 4513 times)

Offline ips

wrong command
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »
Have you ever inadvertently given the wrong command at the wrong time. ???

Yesterday dogging in I was hunting her through some rough grass and bracken that has formed a sort of hedgeline between two fields, she flushed a bird and was steady then recalled very well. I sent her hunting again but instead of my usual "get in" I accidentally said "get on" which is similar to my release command of "go on then". She legged it fifty meters down the hedge, lining a foot scent, (I think) flushed a bird and then came back.
 I am wondering if this was coincidental and she just lost her head or if my incorrect command was the cause ???
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: wrong command
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
mine has learned to run a line along hedges when dogging in.  and actually it's what I want as need the boundary cleared and if he quarters all the way along he may push the birds into the hedge and in the wrong direction (if that makes sense?).  It's also much quicker.  Was  bit worried initially as thought it would ruin his pattern for beating, but he knows the difference.  clever little beast!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »
It is not common behaviour for her to run on like this however it has bern known before. Not sure if eze knows the difference but if yours does and doesn't run in at the flush point then he is indeed a smarty pants 😁👍

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:20:22 PM »
The biggest and stupidist mistake I made when I started training was using "OK" as a release signal!! ....  :buttkick: Can't have a normal conversation these days without old bigs ears waiting for me to inadverently give him permission to leg it!!!  >:D

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 03:33:51 PM »
The biggest and stupidist mistake I made when I started training was using "OK" as a release signal!! ....  :buttkick: Can't have a normal conversation these days without old bigs ears waiting for me to inadverently give him permission to leg it!!!  >:D

Mine was saying good girl when releasing for a fun run around, Teal now takes Good Girl as a I can do what ever I want command and you would not believe how often you can say good girl
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »

Ha, I can see how that would pan out 😁

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »

Mine was saying good girl when releasing for a fun run around, Teal now takes Good Girl as a I can do what ever I want command and you would not believe how often you can say good girl

Yes I use lots of good girls and I too have noticed it is sometimes taken as a release, especially when at heel or on lead.

Just been dogging in and had an experiment of using very little verbal or whistle and relied more on body language, early days to come to a conclusion but it seemed to make her pay mote attention.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:25 AM »
Agree Ian, They are so good at body language to be honest I use very few whistle or voice commands now  only doing a few for practice, I have to be careful with the ecig as she will sometimes sit or come when she see's me raise it to my mouth. When I used to work my dogs 4 or 5 times a week I rarely gave commands they knew the job better than me lol I first found this out after forgetting to take my whistle one day 2 hours into the day I realised I really didn't need one anymore. Sometimes whilst night flighting duck or geese I would think I missed a bird but the dogs would disappear off with out command returning with a bird, there senses and abilities never fail to amaze me
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »

gemma's release code is "OK"    so you are not alone  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----