Author Topic: Introducing Buddy  (Read 922 times)

Offline Ashliejean

Introducing Buddy
« on: March 27, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
Hi all!
Sorry I haven’t posted since my original couple of questions.
We collected Buddy (aka buddy boy/ buds/ budsville) lol last Friday at just over 8 weeks.
I was a little nervous as (long story) we had a golden retriever about three years ago which sadly didn’t work out and after only a week had to return to the breeder. V bad sep anxiety at night combined with some personal issues .
Anyway...ready to try again and boys being 10 and 12 we thought now or never. Hadn’t wanted to get last lockdown in case became too used to all being home and not wanting to traumatise our boys again with wrong timing!

He’s a little black working cocker (though Dad has some show in him) with white chest and bits on his paws. I know about the warning on here re that. Saw other litters of full workers which is what we were after but this litter was so lovely and amazing in temperament (so far!) that we decided to stick! Though we changed from choc boy to black boy. Choc boy got sold too but still a gorgeous little black girl left!!! Might have to go and get her too haha!
How did I post a pic of Buddy?

Totally in love. 💚💚So far he’s very loving and calm. Feel like he’s been sent to look after me. My dad passed away in October after a 12 year battle with cancer of the voice box (no not a smoker) and it’s like he reads me already. Strangely his favourite spot is my Dad’s fave chair!
Playful but a good boy. Already whines to let us know he wants to go out to toilet. Has learnt sit, fetch, stay. Loves his crate...goes to get in it at bedtime, which I cannot make any later than 10! He’s zonked!
So far I have just done open crate with pen around (was so scared after last time) and sleep downstairs to take him out...though at first he did a couple of wees outside the crate in the pen before I got there. I’ve put bed in crate as he slept in a bed at the breeders and went out to wee.
First night he woke every 2 hours. Now it tends to be 12, then 2-3 then 6. Which I thought wasn’t bad? But am I conditioning him to wake up and look for me? Last time we were told shut them in, earplugs for couple of nights and they’ll learn. But as I said we had bad experience and I didn’t want him to associate crate with bad thing. I’ve put him in in daytime too...sometimes of his own accord...and closed it whilst cleaning yesterday which he didn’t love but was satisfied with a chew abs he only whined a little. Should we wait til he goes through the night or just try him closed in and ignore??
I’ve only tried him on lead inside once. Any tips?
Have taken him out for lots of walks in puppy bag. He seems fine with cars etc but a little nervous of dogs so will arrange some puppy play dates.
Any tips on getting him to learn being alone? I’m at home full time but want to be able to leave him from time to time.
Oh and doing a bit of puppy biting...not hard but we’re removing ourselves/ replacing with toy when he does.
Sorry for the waffle!!
X

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Introducing Buddy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:22:09 AM »
Hi, sounds like you are doing well with him.

I personally would be leaving him at night- we left Ash the first night and she whined for about 10 minutes and then settled. Put her to bed at 10pm then my son took her out at 1am for toilet and back in crate - son then took her out again at 3.30am and back to crate before he went off to bed (my son wasn’t in the kitchen with her, he was in his room and popped in to let her out - my son is in his early 20s and a night owl  :005: )

Pictures - I used photobucket originally but have too many pics on there to use for Ash so was going to do a new account but it’s no longer free. So I haven’t put pictures up yet - still to sort this out

Lead work I do outside - at this age it’s more getting them used to it. When they get to the end of the lead I stop until the lead goes loose again

Wishing you all the best with Buddy and looking forward to seeing pictures  :luv: :luv: