Author Topic: Docking and dew clawing, vet in the London area?  (Read 8010 times)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
Re: Docking and dew clawing, vet in the London area?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 02:17:16 PM »
Is there now a problem with getting dogs dew-clawed too?  Or are vets still willing to remove dew-claws?

Penel

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 05:32:51 PM »

Anyway, Bella is going to be mated on Sunday and I'm going to have a long chat with the stud owners about where they get their litters docked and what they think I should do etc...

If anyone can recommend a vet to me then please pm or email me, as I'd really appreciate any help and support in this matter.

Thanks again

Mary

Praps you should wait and see if the mating is successful first !  and btw I have seen lots of army and police spaniels with natural tails.

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 01:53:25 PM »
Hi all,
From what I've gathered dew clawing is becoming less PC with many vets because they believe or susspect that the RCV sees dew clawing in the sameish light as docking, however the RCV has not explicitly expressed this. In my opinion dew clawing will probably be the next thing for the anti docking groups to ban.

Hi Penel, indeed I don't know whether the mating will be successful, fingers crossed it has been!. However, at this uncertain time in regard to docking law and finding a suitable vet, I'm certainly not going to leave finding a vet until 2 to 3 weeks time when we'll be able to verify via a blood test whether Bella is pregnant or not. As far as I'm concerned I want to have everything as well prepared and set up before the immediate use and need arises. This is what all the working cocker breeders I have been in contact with have advised, as they're in much the same boat as me and we're supporting eachother by finding out as much info now as possible and relaying round to everyone so that we're all in a stable position to devote our full attention and time to caring for our bitches and the possible future new born pups. I'm sure you can understand why we are investing a lot of time now in finding a vet.

I didn't know that nowadays a lot of army and police cockers were going undocked, I thought docking was still favoured. You learn something new everyday!

Best wishes

Mary

Penel

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 05:29:42 PM »
Why do you want dew claws removed ?  Hattie's breeder (very well known working cocker / springer / lab guy) doesn't remove dew claws at all as he feels dogs need them.  My lurchers unfortunately don't have their - they were probably pulled out at birth - but all my other (gun) dogs have them and have never had an issue with having them.
I also know a gamekeeper in Oxfordshire who has bred working cockers and left them undocked, and has had no issues at all with their tails........

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 01:54:52 PM »
Hi all,
From what I've gathered dew clawing is becoming less PC with many vets because they believe or susspect that the RCV sees dew clawing in the sameish light as docking, however the RCV has not explicitly expressed this. In my opinion dew clawing will probably be the next thing for the anti docking groups to ban.

Ah, I didnt realise dew clawing could be an issue...wow! 

Penel

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 02:44:56 PM »
Removing body parts from any animal is an issue really, especially when there are no proven health benefits.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 03:35:54 PM »
It isn't an issue for all vets - one of our vets (a long time opponent of tail docking) is quite happy remove dew claws on puppies and will continue to do (as will the other partners). He sees quite a few dew claw injuries and also cases where owners neglect to trim dew claw nails resulting in nasty infections when the nail grows into the leg tissue. I've seen a number of those myself as a groomer - you can blame the owners but it's the dogs who suffer. 
Jane

Penel

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 03:51:20 PM »
Sorry but that is ridiculous - remove dew claws at birth, in case owners forget to trim them - good grief  :o  of course there will be dew claw injuries, the same as there will be other claw injuries, tail injuries, broken legs, ripped ears, broken teeth.  But where do you draw the line................

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 05:17:54 PM »
Penel, there are other points of view on this issue besides yours ::) Not everybody sees things in such a black & white way and I'm perfectly entitled to give another view (and the view of a highly experienced vet) without being jumped on >:( I have no intention of letting this thread develop into another "pro" v "anti" argument but thought it only fair that people realise that there are other opinions besides yours ;)
Jane

Penel

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »
I totally accept their are views other than mine, obviously there are  ::), but thought it only fair to put across the view that it is not necessary to remove dew claws.  Thankfully laws are changing though, and people are becoming more enlightened nowadays.  Plenty of dogs have dew claws and never have an issue with them, that was the only point I was making.  Why that is a bad point to make I really don't know  ::)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »
It must be terribly frustrating for breeders/owners who do wish their dogs to be docked within the law but find it almost impossible because the vets who will do are are forced to go underground  :-\

I know this is an emotive topic and I doubt there will ever be a consensus - but it has been democratically debated and the law decided upon - so why can't people who chose to do this be able to do so without fear of retribution and rejection?

By all means campaign for a change in the law - but for the RCVS to "ban" its members from docking means that they are dictating the law, not parliament  ::)

The last statement I read from the RCVS stated that they were going to issue their members with new guidance regarding docking - taking into account new legislation and the requirement for Veterinary Surgeons to certify that certain evidence has been produced by the owner to indicate that the dog is likely to be used for work - I assume that this new guidance has not been forthcoming  :-\
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/templates/internal.asp?nodeid=95697
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 06:37:29 PM »
My vet 'used' to remove dew claws, even though I don't dock, but they now refuse to do them, we tried another couple of vets in our area and they said the same.

Three of my girls have their dew claws and thankfully so far haven't caused any problems.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »
Why that is a bad point to make I really don't know  ::)

Come on Penel - it's not the point you were making but how you made it ::) I didn't agree with some of what you posted but didn't feel the need to say "that's ridiculous" even if I may have thought it ;) For the record, we haven't actually decided whether we will continue to remove dew claws on our puppies or not - our anti-docking vet thinks it sensible that we do so (his words not mine) but we will make our own minds up on this, bearing in mind that it remains a perfectly legal procedure and the RCVS have issued no guidance on the subject (even though they have had plenty of opportunity to do so).

Jane

Penel

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »
Sorry for feeling passionately about these matters  ::) I find it very hard to write dispassionately about removal of real live animals tails and claws.  I truly believe in what I say that's all.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 11:09:53 PM »
Sorry for feeling passionately about these matters  ::) I find it very hard to write dispassionately about removal of real live animals tails and claws.  I truly believe in what I say that's all.

You certainly don't have the monopoly on passion Penel - we all feel passionate about various subjects but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for rudeness. You can certainly say what you think and what you believe (when have you not?) but you need to turn down the antagonism a notch or two. Try it for a change - you might be pleasantly surprised by how effective reasoned discussion can be in winning hearts and minds ;)

Jane