Author Topic: Docking and dew clawing, vet in the London area?  (Read 7999 times)

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Re: Docking and dew clawing, vet in the London area?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 08:43:01 AM »
My lurchers unfortunately don't have their - they were probably pulled out at birth

Can I just add, that I have never known Dew claws to be removed by pulling them out!
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Penel

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 10:15:24 AM »
My lurchers unfortunately don't have their - they were probably pulled out at birth

Can I just add, that I have never known Dew claws to be removed by pulling them out!

praps you don't know many lurchers that were born in travellers camps then. :-\  It's common practice.

Jane - I don't think I am rude - what is rude about saying it's ridiculous to remove dew claws at birth in case owners forget to trim them ? 

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 10:49:58 AM »
I would personally go for a dog without dew claws over a dog with if I had the choice, this is after Sammy ripped the end of his dew claw off exposing the quick, I trim his claws fairly regularly  :-\.

Cayley.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 10:53:50 AM »
I am 100% sure no one on this forum wether they agree with dew claw removal or not would agree with dew claws being pulled out in the way you described Penel :-\ but that hasn't really got anything to do with a qualified vet doing it properly which is what was originally being discussed.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2007, 12:30:12 PM »
Jane - I don't think I am rude - what is rude about saying it's ridiculous to remove dew claws at birth in case owners forget to trim them ? 

I'm sure I don't have to spell it out to someone of your intelligence. All I'm asking is that you modify your tone not stop saying what you think - it's basic good forum etiquette and allows a sensible discussion to flow instead of the usual "I'm right, you're totally wrong" direction these kind of threads often go. I'm guessing most other members would prefer this too ;)
Jane

Penel

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 01:06:53 PM »
... and I'm guessing a lot of other members daren't disagree with the Mods  ;) ph34r

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
... and I'm guessing a lot of other members daren't disagree with the Mods  ;) ph34r

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with the mods ( what makes you think we all hold the same opinions ? ) - it's about putting views across in a polite and reasonable manner, rather than being rude and confrontational.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2007, 01:19:08 PM »

I am firmly in the anti-docking camp - but don't feel the need to express my opinion quite so forcefully - and I am rarely accused of being diplomatic  ;) I have also NEVER felt oppressed by the Mods on this subject  ;)

We may not like it, Penel - but it is legal, and while democracy allows us to campaign for a change in the law, I don't think anything is gained by continual "car crash" techniques that focus on the extremes, targeting people who want to make perfectly legal choices  ::) All that does it marginalise people like me who want to engage in reasoned debate with the decision makers  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »
I have to say, I find many posts quite sensitive to read. I know the idea of a forum, is to discuss topics, but it does seem to me, some people don't like it when there view is not agreed with.

I also find some of the comments quite patronising. ( ;)   ::)

I think its important to remember that everybody reads words, but interputs tone differently.

Some say  more how they feel than others. What I object to, is those arguing over things they know little about.   Personally on this occasion I didn't sense any rudeness. Some do force there opinion stronger than others, a fair and valid argument in an interesting discussion.

There are some people who actually delight in making a point on something they read recently and the righteousness of it is tedious.

Edited to Say: Sorry I don't know any Vets in London... to keep it on topic...

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Penel

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2007, 01:25:37 PM »

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with the mods ( what makes you think we all hold the same opinions ? ) - it's about putting views across in a polite and reasonable manner, rather than being rude and confrontational.

I still fail to see what is *rude* about saying it's ridiculous to remove dew claws in case someone forgets to trim them.  That is my final posting on the subject.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2007, 01:40:42 PM »
I totally Agree with you Cathy  ::) :005:
 Different peoples opinions makes this forum  and I'm far more likely to take on board someones opinions if the write in a nice tone without sarcasm .  don't be fooled into thinking that just because a mod is a mod that people wont Disagree  Because thats just not true  .
 I'm guessing that far more people would rather  not argue the point
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »
Speaking for myself, 99% of the posts I make on this forum are as myself and not with a 'Mod' hat on.

I have trimmed a couple of newer COL members dog's recently and whilst chatting about the forum have found that they find some of the comments and attitudes on here quite intimidating.

People come here to seek advice and guidance as well as to offer it, surely it is up to all of us to do that in a polite and considerate manner.

Imagine how you'd react if you stopped someone in the street and sought their advice and they replied in a hostile or intimidating manner. That is how I see posting on here, speak (type) as you would like to be spoken to. Just because you can't see someone, it doesn't give you the right to be rude to them.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2007, 06:00:49 PM »

Well talk about the pot calling the kettle :lol: Sorry Penel but that really made me giggle :005: Anyway, enough has been said on this subject now so I'll close it. It would be nice to think that if this subject comes up again we could have a non-confrontational discussion but I won't hold my breath.......

Jane