Author Topic: Average size of Working Cocker vs Show cocker  (Read 9926 times)

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
Average size of Working Cocker vs Show cocker
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »
I was wondering how big your working cockers grew to and how they compare to the size of show type cockers.  People I see out and about keep telling me that Jagger will be big, but tbh he doesnt look big to me  :005: maybe thats because our last dog was a boxer and they are a lot bigger!?!

Given that, his feet look quite big, but that might just be a puppy thing.  It doesnt bother me how big he will be, just wondering as other people seem to make such an issue of it!!  Also people keep telling me that he looks like a springer  :o

Lynnette

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: Average size of Working Cocker vs Show cocker
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:13:27 PM »
I get this all the time as people assure me Buffy can't be a cocker cos she has a tail and is black and white.  However, we have the opposite problem as she is really dinky!  (about 6 kilos at 6 months)  A neighbour has a 4 month old springer who is already much bigger than Buffy.
Just enjoy your pup and ignore unwanted comments - I only listen to those who tell me how beautiful she is!  :005:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:16:46 PM »
 :005: Is there such a thing as an "average" size in either strain  :huh:

Here are my two, fully grown, adult show cockers, who prove that even when they are closely related, size varied widely  ;)

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:17:51 PM »
I like it!! My goodness how small is she?  She will have puppy looks forever - like a little  :angel:

I have to say that I havent heard anyone trying to sound negative and right before the "springer" comment or "working cockers are barmy" or "working cockers are big" comments, they are all gushing about how lovely he is.  I dont think they mean any harm tbh, just leaves me all confused  :-\  which doesnt take much  ph34r

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:19:56 PM »
WOW IWLass, there is a huge difference isnt there??  So really its a case of how long is a piece of string.......thanks for that.  They are both gorgeous btw  :luv:   I love blue roan show cockers.

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 09:34:23 PM »
I would agree that there isn't an average size working cocker either.

My two (aged 3 (on sunday) and 8 ) prove that  :005:

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 09:36:31 PM »
Lisa thats a great picture, how do you get them to sit that still???? Jagger will sit still until I try to take the picture and then he is off....its like he knows it will ruin the picture lol   They are both lovely  :luv:

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 09:38:56 PM »
Lisa thats a great picture, how do you get them to sit that still???? Jagger will sit still until I try to take the picture and then he is off....its like he knows it will ruin the picture lol   They are both lovely  :luv:

They were waiting for their dinner  :005:

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »
Ahh i see - trade secrets eh??  Jagger's not that bothered about dinner...livercake, now that might do it!!

Cazzie

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:53:03 PM »
Sweepie is a wee squirt  :005: The show cockers I look after are the same height but rather broader than her and much stalkier and bigger boned, With the workers you generally dont get two exactly the same  :005:

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »
I kinda like that about them, people keep stopping me saying how they'e never seen a spaniel with his colouring and it is nice i guess - even if it makes walking round pah take an hour just to pick up one thing lol

Cazzie

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »
I kinda like that about them, people keep stopping me saying how they'e never seen a spaniel with his colouring and it is nice i guess - even if it makes walking round pah take an hour just to pick up one thing lol

My Fav is the black and tan, I think they look vey smart  :luv:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 10:04:28 PM »

My Fav is the black and tan, I think they look vey smart  :luv:

Me and billy think so too  :005:

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:34 PM »
I like them too, i think that when (oops i mean if) OH ever lets me get another one (not yet but in a year or two) I would have to seriously consider a black and tan.  I just love the tan eyebrow thing they have going on....did you know that cockers with the tan marking above the eye like Billy and Jagger are supposed to have special abilities to let their owners know about impending problems/tragedy etc?  Apparantly its something they believe in Tibet or somewhere like that

Cazzie

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:12 PM »
I was thinking of getting some tan spray paint for Sweepie  :005: