Author Topic: Average size of Working Cocker vs Show cocker  (Read 9960 times)

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
Re: Average size of Working Cocker vs Show cocker
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 10:18:52 PM »
awww no she is lovely as she is.....just gives you an excuse to get another one to keep her company lol

Cazzie

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »
awww no she is lovely as she is.....just gives you an excuse to get another one to keep her company lol

She doesnt need company she had trillions of dogs here but she is not a doggy dog she prefers hoomans  :005:

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 10:38:02 PM »
aww she sounds like such a lovely affectionate dog!  :luv:

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 02:15:03 AM »
rachel your cheating lil'bit is at the bottom of the hill :005: :005:  She is cute though and Ayla sized :luv:

Ayla is diddy and I don't think she'll grow much more the standard should be what people are aiming for so:

Height approximately: dogs: 39-41 cms (15.5-16 ins); bitches: 38-39 cms (15-15.5 ins). Weight approximately: 13-14.5 kgs (28-32 lbs).

Not sure why there is such a big difference in the dogs and only a cm either way in the bitches though or if this is aimed specifically at the show dogs who from what I have seen do tend to be larger than the working equivalent.  Ayla is small but I haven't managed to get her to stand still long enough to measure her so i'll have another go tomorrow for a more accurate reading. :005:

Anything above that is more than the standard and by rights should not be used within a breeding program.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »
They can vary quite a bit. The way he is going now Rodaidh is quite tall but is going to look really slight compared to my other two who are both big. Tilly in particular is a larger lass  :005:  other than Freya's Bilbo and one other solid black which was at trainer Charlie's place she's the biggest working cocker I've seen, she's very solidly built and weighs just over 18kg, you can sort of see on my signature pic how broad her chest is, she has a really broad ribcage for her size which makes her look bigger than she actually is. Alfie is long and lean but still very sturdy and weighs about 16.3kg. Rodaidh is 8 months and quite lanky but he's only somewhere around 10kg, there's nothing of him  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 04:52:45 PM »
my worker's a titch (but not as titchy as Jean's Rolo :luv: )

he's 15 inches to the shoulder and 12.7kgs (and just over 2 years old) and he is just perfick :luv:

helen & jarvis x

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 05:36:17 PM »
From what I can tell they all vary hugely. Glen who is just coming on 1 is all gangly and tall and weighs 17k but their is not a spare bit on him.  Sally is smaller though not tiny and wieghs 14k yet she tends to look a bit rotund at times (until she is soaked through thn she looks like a rat)

I met a few cockers off here and I was amazed how big Nicola's Tilly was, she looked like a giant next to Jean's Rollo. My two are both bigger than the show cockers I have met though.  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline simmosno5

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »
Hi, i have a 11 week old field cocker and everyone keeps saying to me that she is going to be big aswell.
Also she is really nipping a lot and i don`t know how to control this ;)

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »
simmosno5 there are lots of threads in the behaviour section about this....little ankle-biters!! 

depends what you mean by nipping.....ignore play biting and time out for proper biting .............best looking in the behaviour section imo

Good luck

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
From what I've seen making the dog coats, workers are longer than they are round.....and show cockers are rounder than they are long   ;)

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 10:31:44 PM »
Murphy (working)  is the biggest from his litter, all his litter mates are local except one!, he towers above them all, and they are all alot eh, rounder shall we say!  I'd do away with someone if they said I was round!!   He was weighed on Monday at the vet, he was just over 17 kilos, she said that was a bit heavy for his breed, but she also said that he is perfect looking, not overweight at all!

Maddi  (show) is just over 7 kilos at just under 6 months, I think most of that is hair!!

No-one believes that murphy is a cocker because of his 'sharp' features.  I don't care what anyone else thinks, they are both beautiful, I'm a wee bit biased, but someone actually walked right up to me tonight and said, that wee black dog is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen on four legs, then shouted back, even if it does look a bit like a haggis!! :lol:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Letichia

• Site Member
  • Maverick
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:46 PM »
I have two show cockers one boy and and girl.
Mollie is 12.5kg
Scoobie is 12.75kg

Mollie is a bit smaller then Scoobie and the vet said that she does need to loose a bit of weight.
Letichia, Lilly, Polo and Maverick x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 11:21:09 PM »

I met a few cockers off here and I was amazed how big Nicola's Tilly was, she looked like a giant next to Jean's Rollo.

Tilly says thanks a lot, she's off to try to find some Alice in Wonderland shrinking potion so that people will stop mistaking her for a big butch Field Spaniel instead of the dainty girly Working Cocker she is  :'( ;) :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Cazzie

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 11:23:42 PM »

I met a few cockers off here and I was amazed how big Nicola's Tilly was, she looked like a giant next to Jean's Rollo.

Tilly says thanks a lot, she's off to try to find some Alice in Wonderland shrinking potion so that people will stop mistaking her for a big butch Field Spaniel instead of the dainty girly Working Cocker she is  :'( ;) :005:

Not many with a nature like Tilly she is a sweetie  :luv:

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 11:55:36 PM »
My 4 are like steps       :D l l l l :D
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver