Author Topic: help  (Read 1217 times)

Offline alfie1

• Site Member
  • Ellie-Grace and Alfie
help
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:13:30 AM »
is alfie a working dog
silly i know, his dad is, does that mean he is
now my brother who im not getting on with has been saying to other family members there is noway he is a cocker and he wouldnt have paid what we did for him sorry IT is what he said, im quite upset by this
sorry about the quality of the pics

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z223/essona/alfie.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z223/essona/5797102a5625040973l.jpg
Wishing Everyone A Merry Xmas And A Happy New Year!

:D:D:D

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »
You need to find out more about what a working cocker is, I think.

It isn't just a cocker which works, it is a specific type of cocker. As you can see from Alfie (who IS a working type cocker) they look quite different to the show type cockers, but they ARE still cocker spaniels. Take a look at the previous threads on this subject and see the photos which have been posted there. Then you can be well-informed for the next time your brother has a go.

But, just ignore your brother anyway. He obviously knows which buttons to press to wind you up! ;)

Alfie is beautiful.

However I am once again quite saddened that a breeder has failed to ensure that the new owner knows exactly what they are buying.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:42 AM »
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=40635.0

This link explains the difference between working/show.....

I would ignore your brother - as Annette says he has obviously known you long enough to know what winds you up (as only siblings can!)

Alfie is gorgeous - just try and enjoy him for what he is..... (a gorgeous golden cocker spangle!)
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:15:51 AM »
I have this all the time from 'well meaning' idiots who wouldnt know one end of a dog from the other and judge a cocker spaniel as Show type or not cocker at all. I have got past the ready to 'kill' stage by pointing out what a 'handsome' lil man my Fred is, how much fun he is to have around and how much easier his coat is to look after.  That and planing the ultimate revenge of bringing Fred round their's for a really runny poop ph34r :005: :005:

As for your brother he is obviously jealous of your lovely wee man- sibling rivalry isnt it great >:(
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:18:16 AM »
He is definitely ALL cocker -Alfie is absolutely gorgeous, and if you look through all the pics of the Working dogs, you will see he looks just like he should do!

Brothers are brilliant at saying the things that will upset us the most - at 35 I still squabble with my baby (33 yr old) brother as if we were kids. He actually said that our mum loves him more than me the other day  ::)  Idiot  :005:

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:27:44 AM »

He does look like a worker...but is still a cocker...alot of people dont know there is a working cocker...perhaps your brother is one of them  :-\  :005:

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
I still have 'discussions' with my Mum about the Worker/Show thing!

She just cant seem to grasp the fact thay they are totally different but are still the same breed!! She doesnt understand also how the KC can recognise both breeds even though they are both Cocker Spaniels!

I've tried to explain but I dont think I put my knowledge to good use!  :-\

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
I didnt know the difference between the two when i bought Charley who was a bit of both! I thought the word 'worker' meant a show cocker spaniel who worked! Daft or just not educated?  I too was a little angry with myself really for not knowing, but can i just say it didnt matter squat to me once id got over it, and when we was looking at another puppy we actually wanted another worker, he had won us over. He is a worker and a lovely one at that! I met a couple a a while back when walking Charley who too had bought a worker not knowing there was such a thing, when i said ooooo another Charley to them she said they didnt think he was a cocker as he didnt look anything like one - when i explained, she was made up that she now knew there was another 'strain' and that they actually did have a cocker.

Dont take him on - hes beautiful!  :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »
maybe you should point him in the direction of COL, and then he can educate himself abit more on what he cliams to know all about :005:   dont let it get to you, i am sure that all working cocker owners have experienced similar remarks, ie is it a springer, springer x you know what i mean! kinda makes you feel clever explaining the two strains to the breed, and they go oh really i didnt know that? and why should they! lots of people, including me at first! are unaware of it!
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
Roxy is 1/4 working cocker cos her dad is a show type and her mum is 1/2 show 1/2 worker! Until I came on COL i dodn't know the difference or in fact that working cockers existed!

I have also met people with working type cockers and when I have commented on it they didn't know what I mean't!! Worrying that sometimes people haven't been told by breeders what they are getting!

All cockers are gorgeous, yours included!

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »
you will find out alot of info on this site about working cockers, which will help you when you get asked a question by people, i have 1 show and one mostly worker type, and im always getting asked if bru is a cross, , as for your brother print off a few pics of workers on here, and tell him to grow up, also as for how much you spent on Alfie, well alot of working type cockers are more expensive or just as much as some show types, so your brother has no idea what hes talking about  >:( >:( ::), your dog is a lovely looking boy  :luv:whichever type he is
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy