Author Topic: First time beating :)  (Read 2015 times)

Offline nicolatong

• Limited Member
First time beating :)
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:10:06 PM »
Hi Everyone

I have just had my first day beating with my cocker spaniel :)
She is only 8/9 months but good to whistle and confident around guns.I was invited by a friend to a small shoot in stowting near hythe in kent by
the underkeeper.. I was very nervous and kept maggi on her lead on the first drive she was the only cocker on the beating line with 3 springers and 2 labs one young choc lab and one older golden lab..on the first drive i was told it was the young choc labs first day too!!!! of we went on the first drive and the choc lab bolted and was missing for ten mins causing havoc!!!!!! this did my confidence no good on the 2nd drive when the underkeeper asked me to release maggi!!! but she did me proud of she went working her lines and returning to whistle when called for :)
the day got better when maggi flushed many pheasants but also kept flushing woodcock which im told is good lol!!!!
But the day ended on a high for me when on the last drive the gamekeeper selects two dogs to go in the holding pen to flush any pheasants sitting tight and hiding ph34r  so in went Maggi and the gamekeepers springer  :D  flushing 5 cock pheasants to finish the day i am so proud of my girl and would like to say what a nice bunch all the guns and fellow beaters are on this shoot.The gamekeeper has asked me and maggi back on 3rd and 17th of Jan i cant wait   :shades:
Phil & Maggi

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Re: First time beating :)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 06:38:33 PM »
Sounds like you had a fantastic day, she did really well you must be very proud of her.

Keep it up she sounds like shes going to be a star.

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 06:50:56 PM »
What a fantastic day you both had, congratulations and keep up the good work  ;)

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline nicolatong

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:13:40 PM »
We both really enjoyed it cant wait to get out there again now  :D maggi was my little star il try to get some pics on when I can work out how to do it :)

Offline Cotswold Girl

• Site Member
  • The Cotswold Crazy Gang
    • Northern English Springer Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »
Well done brilliant, I love beating.
Rhyannon, Spec, Broc, Shrek, Tilly-Bob & Wellie
NESSR Rehoming Co-ordinator.
Registered Charity No: 1121569 Charity Registered In Scotland No. SC040037

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:24:42 PM »
..Very good your Dog done very well to get one over on the springers and so Young  :D...Normaly springers they leave them standing..... :005:...keep the good work up...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline IanM

• Eshiels Gundogs
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »
Glad to here you had a great day. You'll be looking forward to next season now. :blink:

Ian
Ian Mitchell
Eshiels Gundogs

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »
sounds like you've had a fabulous day always great when you start off on the right foot :shades: :shades:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 06:18:57 PM »
Sounds like you both had a great time.
When I read thread title I thought it was about somebody beating a dog, as in, with a stick, must learn to pay more attention.  ::)

Offline TeresaUK

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 05:26:15 AM »
Wow, I have turned a bit green after reading how well your cockers are doing with proper gun dog training/events, and at such an early age in some cases, too! Congratulatons. I am having Ellie assessed by a gun dog trainer in a few weeks and am a bit nervous in case I am told that she does not have enough potential. To date we have concentrated on Agility and Obedience and have only done 3 gun dog training sessions. Ellie loves agility and could be quite good if I could get my body positioning correct more of the time - but she is very patient with me! Obedience bores her so we only go about twice a month to remind ourselves of what we should be doing and to help stop slipping into sloppy habits again.